• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD outsold Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is very impressive. It looks as if small little David has hit Goliath with a stone. In honor of the event I'm going to fix a David and Goliath Cocktail. One small shot and I'm stoned. :bday: :beer:

I second the idea! Except I'm lazy so I'll just open a can of beer! :p

(Did anyone else find it funny that there's an ad for a Pentium 4 comp from HP on the side of the page? XD)

Well, don't get too drunk. Those stats do not include direct system sales, as in Gateway and Dell. Obviously, Intel still outsold AMD if you include those numbers, but still it's progress.

I bet it's due to the X2, and the increasing popularity of the 64-bit processor. I've heard a lot of co-workers in our department at work talking about that processor (the X2).

Of course, all of our servers run dual Xeon's :p

I think ill make my usual Mountain Dew and Gin :D lol Im glad AMD is starting to rise but i dont want Intel to totally die because the competetion is always good for us.

Wiggles said:
I bet it's due to the X2, and the increasing popularity of the 64-bit processor. I've heard a lot of co-workers in our department at work talking about that processor (the X2).
It could be the X2 market leader effect. Sort of like Nissan building the 300z and people buy more of their sedans.

Yup - Retail only - Not including Dell and HP PC sales (like rseven said). My friend has an ancient HP that has an AMD in it from the factory (like a 500MHz with 16MB of RAM or something). I thought that was odd. What vendors do use AMD anyway? Just curious...

Good for AMD! Maybe Intel's prices will come down now? :)

500 mhz probably has more like 64MB of ram, maybe even 128, but there are plenty of vendors that do use amd, even back then, but they are/were kind of pushed aside.

500mhz is ancient? Man, now I'm feeling old. I remeber those days like they were yesterday. We loved our 300mhz P2 and my first computer was an apple 2C, with some others in between. I guess I'm an ancient geek..... I'm not even quite 20 yet....

Just checked, It's a HP 6343 with a 300 AMD K6-2 (300MHz maybe?) and has 32MB of RAM stock, upped to a whopping 90MB :eek: . Ancient!

Rock On :cool:

Some vendors actually have AMD choices. But Dell doesn't I think, their whole XPS line is all about P4s and the dual cores. But HP does sometimes have some pretty good choices for their AMD lines.

But yeah, the rise in sales are probably mainly due to the pretty obvious fact that AMD dual cores run better then Intel dual cores, Intel only benefits users in the lower cost of their dual cores.

More than half of all computer systems US stores sold during September carried an AMD processor.

Lets see only Half of RETAIL systems, hate to bust the bubble but this is almost nothing, they still only have about 18% of the overall market. Is it a good thing? yes but is this some huge win... no. Its not even all that amazing they always sell very well in retail because most of the sytems sold are on the low end, where AMD just does better.

even though it is a very very clever word play to be able to say that AMD beat INTEL , hopefully it does mean astart to a fairer battle ground

Randyman... said:
Yup - Retail only - Not including Dell and HP PC sales (like rseven said). My friend has an ancient HP that has an AMD in it from the factory (like a 500MHz with 16MB of RAM or something). I thought that was odd. What vendors do use AMD anyway? Just curious...

Good for AMD! Maybe Intel's prices will come down now? :)
I think HP sells AMD computers.

Twiggz said:
I think ill make my usual Mountain Dew and Gin :D lol Im glad AMD is starting to rise but i dont want Intel to totally die because the competetion is always good for us.
Gonna be a LONG time before that happens.

This is awesome! Both here and at HardOCP AMD has waaaaay more threads and posts... and almost 6 times the people browsing the forum...

yay for the underdog! good for all!

Back