• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G.Skill 2x1gb PC4000 - Cant get stable on DFI Ultra-D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

muscl3s

My system is in my sig under Gaming Rig. This ram is holding my OC back I can't get it to run without errors in memtest at 260mhz at default timings: 3-4-4-8.

To the people using this ram, what voltage are you using etc.? Any help would be appreciated. These are the settings I have on the DFI NF4 Ultra-d board from Dram configuration. If you see anything that I should change please let me know.

DRAM Frequency Set (MHZ): 200 (1:1)
Command Per Clock (CPC): Enable
Cas Latency COntrol (TCL): 3.0
RAS# to CAS# delay (TRCD): 4
Min RAS# active time (Tras): 8
Row precharge time (Trp): 4
Row cycle time (Trc): 7
Row refresh cyc time (Trfc): 13
Row to Row delay (Trrd): 2
Write Recovery Time (Twr): 2
Write to Read delay (Twtr): 1
Read to Write delay (Trwt): 2
Refresh Period (Tref): 3120 Cycles <----- Totally unsure on this. Is this right?
Write CAS Latency (TWCL): 1

DQS Skew Control: Auto
DQS Skew Value: 0
DRAM Drive Strength: Auto
DRAM Data Drive Strength: Auto
Max Async Latency: 07.0 ns
DRAM Response Time: Normal
Read Preamble Time: 05.0 ns
IdleCycle Limit: 256 Cycles
Dynamic Counter: Enable
R/W Queue Bypass: 16 X
Bypass Max: 7 X
32 Bye Granularity: Disable(4 Bursts)

Memtest each stick at a time to see if you have a bad one.

I have everything set to auto except the following

I manually set those since they were trying to run at 3-3-3-8, which was not stable.
I'm at 2.7v

Now I don't have your ram, but on at least 4 different setups w/ this board I've helped out w/, the thing that totally was necessary was to update the bios and totally clear 'em like DFI says.

One guy here in town we were helpin' out was totally "this board sucks..." and he sold his whole mega$$$ system for way cheap. My good friend grabbed it up and he was 'bout to toss it too. Then he brought it over--we flashed to a new bios and did the total clearing proces. Now he's a way happy boy.

I was having trouble on my current stix of G.Skill's and I thought I'd done the bios flash all correct...but I think I loaded settings saved in my CMOS reloaded...don't think that was a good idea when I had changed bios's... :)

You can grab a new DFI NF4 Bios (at DFI-street) I'm using 6.23.3 currently. I prefer to use the CD thanks to Tmod. Get it over at Tmod's Bios CD thread.

Be sure to do a complete clearing CMOS clear/reset .

GL

Last edited:
Ri0 said:
Memtest each stick at a time to see if you have a bad one.

I have everything set to auto except the following

I manually set those since they were trying to run at 3-3-3-8, which was not stable.
I'm at 2.7v
What bios are you using Rio? I'm on 623-3 and I keep getting errors on memtest #5 like every time regardless of what voltage I set. I'm really upset about this since this ram is supposed to be able to do much more then this. :(

Try these settings:

Row cycle time (Trc): 12
Row refresh cyc time (Trfc): 18
Row to Row delay (Trrd): 3
Write Recovery Time (Twr): 3
Write to Read delay (Twtr): 2
Read to Write delay (Trwt): 3
Refresh Period (Tref): 3120

For the BIOS get the latest
7.04-2BTA
as they will work better with your X2.

RedDragonXXX said:
Try these settings:

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc): 18
Refresh Period (Tref): 3120

For the BIOS get the latest
7.04-2BTA
as they will work better with your X2.

Tried and still doesn't work for me. Same thing, I'm getting errors in memtest test #5. The ram works fine at 255 mhz but as soon as I start going beyond that I start to get the memtest errors. I'm thinking about doing RMA on these now unless anyone else has some suggestions.

If they work at stock I don't think you should RMA them... RAM is not gauranteed for OCing and isn't implied anywhere. Maybe you could sell them on ebay or here in the classifieds?

muscl3s said:
What bios are you using Rio? I'm on 623-3 and I keep getting errors on memtest #5 like every time regardless of what voltage I set. I'm really upset about this since this ram is supposed to be able to do much more then this. :(

Original bios the board shipped with back in March.

Did you memtest each stick at default DDR500? Was either of them unstable? If both tested stable individually, did they work as a pair at DDR500? If yes, then you got what you paid for. Anything else is a bonus. If you are unsatisfied sell them and pick up the curcial ballistic set.

These sticks don't seem to like voltage at all. The highest I've been able to go is 255mhz at 2.7 volts. Anything higher or lower doesnt make a difference. The highest I've gone is 3.0v.

Again, they do pass memtest at DDR-500 speeds and DDR-510 but anything beyond that I can't get to pass memtest despite what this link by a Gkill employee is advertising:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75199

well, they work at their advertised speed, and the clockability of chips varies between them, so you might just have gotten one of the not-so-good 2gb kits

Sneaky said:
well, they work at their advertised speed, and the clockability of chips varies between them, so you might just have gotten one of the not-so-good 2gb kits
Yes it definitely appears that way. It looks like I got a pretty good 3800X2 too. I knew I shouldn't of risked these, why did I have to find that link :(

First be sure to back your HTT down to 4x, my system got buggy at 240FSB with the Auto 5X. This is more important on the X2, those processor cores are sharing it. See if you can clock higher. You may want to try 3-4-4-9, 3-5-4-9 or 3-5-5-10. As long as you have the 3 in the first cas location the 2nd an 3rd numbers won't take away that much. The 4th number really stablizes ram cycling and has very little effect on speed.
Still no luck,
Try stepping the memory clock down one to 5:4 and back your HTT to 4x.
You may be able to get the FSB to reach higher than 250. Leave the latancy where you had it until you know the max FSB. Then back off the FSB 5-10 mhz and tighten latencies if possible.

muscl3s said:
These sticks don't seem to like voltage at all. The highest I've been able to go is 255mhz at 2.7 volts. Anything higher or lower doesnt make a difference. The highest I've gone is 3.0v.

Again, they do pass memtest at DDR-500 speeds and DDR-510 but anything beyond that I can't get to pass memtest despite what this link by a Gkill employee is advertising:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75199

and the same settings I am using at 2.6V without so much as a hiccup on memtest so for what it's worth..

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/8944/2859wg.jpg

..you can't blame the guy for posting his results. Results may vary from machine to machine, just look at all the different variables? So if I would have posted my results within a day of his would that have amounted to anything?? I have exceeded what was advertized in that initial post with minimum effort. I can't say why they perform the way they do in your particular case, maybe you did get a bad set, but don't say it is false advertizing just because you cannot match someone else's OC, that is part of the game. :)

Last edited:
AlabamaCajun said:
First be sure to back your HTT down to 4x, my system got buggy at 240FSB with the Auto 5X. This is more important on the X2, those processor cores are sharing it.

^^^^^ :cool:

These are my setting @260MHz, they are not as tight as yours, it seems pretty stable, I just played Fear for 11/2 hrs :)

Vdimm 2.6v

DRAM Frequency Set (MHZ): 183
Row refresh cyc time (Trfc): 24
Refresh Period (Tref): 3684 Cycles

DQS Skew Control: Auto
DQS Skew Value: 0
DRAM Drive Strength: 7
DRAM Data Drive Strength: 1
Max Async Latency: Auto
DRAM Response Time: Normal
Read Preamble Time: Auto
IdleCycle Limit: 256 Cycles
Dynamic Counter: Enable
R/W Queue Bypass: 16 X
Bypass Max: 4 X
32 Bye Granularity: Disable(4 Bursts)

Ive tested these also on an Abit AN8-SLI could onlystablize it at 3-4-4-8 and everything else relaxed ... i rma'd mine to go back to the egg. OCZ for me:)

I too purchased the ram based on the G.S employee posted results.. learned my lesson on that one. I also have a DFI SLI-DR on the way which i may test them on before returning them.

JCGhz said:
learned my lesson on that one.
they seem to get very good results from there ram compared to the every day punters, my 4800FR was never quite as good it should of been :rolleyes:

Back