• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

serious heat problem, please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

afs

Registered
got a 531(intel boxed) on p5wd2-p, BOIS ver 422, on full load my CPU temp reaches 68 degrees at stock speed even with open case ventilation and in this hot environment the CPU fan reads 2600 ! what wrong with it?

some friends told me to reseat the heat sink or add some paste but none worked out. the only thing i did not was bois upgrade , someone told me to upgrade BOIS. DO you think it will work?

help me please, should i get a new cooler ?

Common problem, the p5wd2-p/intel heat thing... just look around the forums a while and you will see (I have the same issue too).

Some people HAVE reported a 10C drop in temps through BIOS update to the latest version (0519) so try it... other than that good airflow and maybe a different cooler are going to be the next things to try.

Good luck!

Thanks, but what did you do to cool it down ? or u didnt do anything?

Did loads, and I'm still working on it.

Upgraded case fans to 2x 120mm jeantech (c. 70 CFM each).

Fitted Swiftech cooler ( http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcx775-V.asp ) and then upgraded fan to a 120 mm 50+CFM on that using a fan adapter. This was later reseated carefully with AS5 thermal paste.

Tidied all cables away and moved sound card to bottom pci slot for better airflow, but I still don't have enough air getting in :(

Case closed this idles at about 65C and loaded runs c. 70C or higher on stock settings. Case open and a huge desk fan blowing on it all I can get it loaded running under 60C comfortably, so I am working on my airflow.

Oh... and I did upgrade to the 0519 BIOS but it had no effect for me.

i would suggest better case airflow. what are the temps in the room? ny chance you could duct in air from an AC or a window to bring in cold air? the colder the air you bring into the case the colder it'll run :D

when i had my case sitting where it was pulling air in from the AC my a64 never broke 32 degrees load, now without the ac on it gets in the mid 40s, till it gets colder out and it can pull in cold air from outside. then it should get niiicce and chilly.

what kind of case do you have, and with what fans where and blowing which way ? this could make a uge impact on the temps, and you might want to get better fans blowin air through the case, or even a better case that is laid out in a way to promote better flow.

you might wanna try posting in the cooling forum, might get a bit more advise on how to cool the chip over there.

new BOIS UPGRADE was so hot !

So, i finally get to 0519, but it even made my cpu (P4 531) temps reach higher numbers. i started to take deep look at inside, and i found new BOIS has changed my default VCORE form 1.42 (in 0422) to (1.51 in 0519).

eventualy i could find a stock 3.2 on giga-byte 8I915-duo running at 1.36 volt. i guess this is why asus mobos suffer heat problem (they use higher VCOREs for OC stability)
if so can i get my VCORe down to 1.36 too ? or lower ?will be any instability problems or not (at stock speed)?

Well on stock settings, but reducing the vcore for my intel 660 to 1.35, my system was actually stable... I would suggest you try that and then raise it a little if necessary. It's worth bearing in mind that the setting seems to be a limit, i.e. if I set 1.4 but the cpu is only needing 1.38 then the system only gives it 1.38.

Airflow!

I've spent the past 2 hours in cable tie heaven... all cables are run neatly now (I'd done this before, but this is better!), I have added an 80mm fan mounted using cable ties and 2 slots of my 5 1/4 inch bays, with a bit of acoustic padding either side to prevent air flowing back out of the front, and in my drive bay, just behind my 120mm intake fan I have mounted a 92 mm fan angled upwards to direct air towards my cpu.

Previously I was running with the case open and under load getting about 69C... not I can close my case and get the same temps with the mobo temp at 32 C.

This is running the CPU at 3.7GHz, FSB at c. 1060 on an intel 660/P5WD2-P combination.

I'm pretty pleased with that for now - next step may be to remove the extra fans and try a high CFM Delta instead... that has to wait until I have more money though :santa:

Back