• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Opteron 1u for Gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freekhead

Registered
Hi all

i have a few questions about building a 1u server for a uk based squad i run

our price limit would be 1,693.23 USD and this would include the case

the spec i was thinking of building is

2 x SATA Western Digital Caviar 40GB in RAID 1

2 x CORSAIR 1GB DDR 400 ECC Registered

TYAN Dual Socket 940 AMD ATX Motherboard
Model #: S2875ANRF

AMD Opteron 244 SledgeHammer 800MHz FSB Socket 940 Processor OEM

Parts are alot cheaper in the USA and could save us over 500 USD but newegg dont ship outside of America

This system will be hosting:
2 x Counter strike source servers
1 x Battle Field 2 server - just for matches
2 Black Hawk Down servers
And the room to host maby 2 more games but not 24/7

Has anyone build a system like this for hosting games and what performance would i expect out of it?

I know it would be a good idea to get a pre built system but i am a computer engineer and have good knowledge when it comes to hardware

Also what 1u cases can you recommend for good cooling properties and also what wattage of psu would be needed?

1U, that'll be lound! Are you using dual processor or single? If dual, 4x512MB will be better. If single, why not just buy single 940 board?

it will be a dual processor setup!!!

so 4 sticks of 512mb would be better??

freekhead said:
so 4 sticks of 512mb would be better??
If the motherboard suppurt NUMA. Both processors will then have two memorychannels each (6400 MB/s) and be able to access the other processors memory via a hypertransport link giving you theoretical ~12800 MB/s memorybandwith.

And are you sure that MB will fit in a 1U case? I thought I read something about angled memoryslots a few years ago, but perhaps that was only when you needed registered SD-RAM since those modules were huge.

so im looking for a mobo with NUMA and 4 x 512mb ram??

anyone know where the best place in the USA for server parts

cant be newegg as they dont ship to the UK

Or 4x1GB :). Each processor has two modules. ewiz.com ship internationally, it's a pretty good retailer. Price is also good.

aint an atx mobo compatable with a 1u case???

i mean im looking for a dual 940 pin mbob that has no ram slots blocking air entering from the front to cool the heatsinks right??

tanx icyicy nice site and it is cheap...

freekhead said:
aint an atx mobo compatable with a 1u case???

i mean im looking for a dual 940 pin mbob that has no ram slots blocking air entering from the front to cool the heatsinks right??

tanx icyicy nice site and it is cheap...

Edit : You will be hard pressed to find a 1u case that fits most atx mobos... bleh took a re-read to see i made no sense.

Last edited:
you'll probably be lucky to get it to fit in a 2U case, dont even try 1U. its too slim, no room for ANYTHING at all. i was going to try to get a mobo mounted in a 1U case (which was a celly 667) and i was gonna use a modified laptop heatsink to be able to clear the case. good luck with it, but i say 2u is a more realistic aim.

1U opteron coolers: You need to go with a blower solution as the normal fan system does not have enough room. The 1U opteron heat sinks I bought have the fan hitting the lid of the case= no air movement.

Had to switch to a blower system which pulls air out of the heat sink and exhausts it to the side.

My rig is a tyan dual opteron 1U server.

Back