• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

False Advertisement? (All Read)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RDWest2005

wuzzup guys,

Members of this forum has helped me out and i greatly appreciate it.
i've researched my a** off to build about the best setup of todays techy ****.
well... the best with what $ i would spend on a pc

now...
i got this mother board...
Asus P5ND2-SLI Deluxe NVIDIA Socket 775 ATX Motherboard / 8 channel Audio / PCI Express / Dual Gigabit LAN / USB 2.0 & Firewire / Serial ATA / RAID / SLI

at tigerdirect, i read all info
and i went to asus site also

and at asus site under standard features...

-------------------------------------------------------------
Standard Features
Dual-Core CPU
Enjoy the extraordinary CPU power from the latest dual-core CPU.
The advanced processing technology contains two physical CPU cores with individually dedicated L2 Caches to satisfy the rising demand for more powerful processing capability.
http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=0&model=485&modelmenu=1
-------------------------------------------------------------

now that i have recieved my parts...
in the mb manual, it says under cpu support section...
It does support the pentium D - but there is a note under...

"Note: Due to chipset limitations, the pentium D 840 dual core will only run in single core mode"

Is this not false advertisement?
i would have never got the 840 if it wouldn't run in dual core mode

i've sent asus a very nice email
we'll just have to see if they take care of customers

now i'm going to ship the 840 back
i guess i'll get the 3.8 with HT...
Intel Pentium 4 571 3.80GHz / 1MB Cache / 800 FSB / Socket 775 / Hyper-Threading / Processor with Fan

what do you guys think about the 571 with HT ?
here is my setup with the 840 - but that will be changed
http://www.carolina-customs.com/my-new-box/

So let me know what yall think about the 571 with HT?

RD

Perhaps, the manual was written before the board or bios was modified to support the dual core architecture. It does not seem that Asus would make that claim on their website if it weren't so. If it can't support it then you have every right to return it and hold Asus accountable for what I agree are very misleading statements. Good luck with it.

From what I read in the post, I think what happened is that the motherboard RDWest bought supported most Pentium D processors but did not support the particular model he bought. But then ASUS should have put the disclaimer about the 840 on their website... So I suppose that is false advertisement in a way. Before sending the processor back, I'd suggest looking on ASUS's website to see if they have a newer BIOS version that supports the 840 and then you could flash that at first boot.

I would recommend you get the 670 or 660 instead of the 571.

As for dual core support, the nvidia chipset doesn't "officially" support dual core, they left that up to the manufacturer of the board.

I believe it's a typo in the manual however. the 820 will run in single core, the other's should all run in dual core. This is also confirmed on Asus's CPU support webpage for this motherboard.

**********update**********

after more reading...

the manual is P5ND2-SLI-Deluxe
so it is for the exact board in question

and it states the dual core processors don't support EIST, TM2, and C1E functions

*I JUMPED THE GUN GUYS*
i was ****ed to find notes not included in web site
after more reading it states the 820's run in single mode

still this should be included in NOTES in sites and avertising about support of p-D's

this is still a bummer to buy it and then learn about these limitations.

i have not read what these are yet--> (EIST, TM2, and C1E)
simply because they didn't include any notes about this anywhere

do yall think i should exchange the 840 for the 571 ?

RD

Last edited:
I still would not bother with the 571 and go to a 670 instead.

the 820D is not compatible, this is right from nVidia themselves. All the other's should be though (830/840) as long as the board manufacturer adds the compatibility for them.

the 830/840 have EIST, TM2 and C1E. I believe the 820 has TM2 and C1E but not EIST. EIST lowers the multiplier and it can't lower it any more than 14x, which is where the 820 is set to.

Sometimes what happens is that a manufacturer will have revised the CURRENT version of a board to support something, and advertise it as supporting it. So all new rev 2.0 boards might support it. But retailers might have old stock, beware of the cheapest deals in this case, and when you order one you get a Rev 1.0 that doesn't support the new hardware. .....

I really don't mean to be rude but why did you buy this board, its more expensive than the P5wd2 premuim and I have never seen one that can overclock very well at all.

I personally would say send the board back and get a p5wd2 premuim you will be glad you did.

Back