• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can anyone answer a few Questions about Ipods for me??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kunaak

do you have to deal with DRM, Digital Rights Management on Ipods?

on my current MP3 player, DRM is enabled, and if I hook my MP3 player to another PC, it pops up with a question, "are you the owner..." if you say no, then it says "do you want to format the player?", if you say yes, then it tells you, you cannot play music from this player, or any other PC then the original one you had to Sync with, it's a huge pain in the ***, cause if I format my PC and reinstall my OS, then I have to wipe out the MP3 player, and start new.

Do Ipods, allow easy ways to make "play lists", and import music directly into a playlist, without having to first import it to a library??

my current MP3 player, has a annoying tendency to have to import music first to the library, which displays every song I got... then I have to manually find every song, then manually create a play list for them, and insert them that way...
it would be soooooo much easier if I could just make a play list, then drag the songs I want, to the playlist, without having to sort through a library list of 1000 songs...

is there any option for a external controller on Ipods?

I need something extremely light, that I can access fast, when riding a bike, or when I go skateboarding and such...
having to pull a thing out of my backpack, to access some controls, is kinda lame... I like external controls, like you find on many Minidisc players, and CD players...

Question 1: sort of, you can play music from an ipod on another pc but you have to "authorise" it to play that music (which you can only do on a limited number if pcs)

Question 2: again sort of, all songs have to be in the library before you can do anything with them but you can create "smart" playlists which automatically adds any music from the library which meets certain criteria.

Question 3: i haven't seen one (though i have seen an ipod remote so it's possible), there are alot of 3rd party companies working constantly on new accesories so someone might have one in the pipeline...

as far as i have been able to determine the only program that you can use to upload to an iPod is iTunes. it's free if you want to get a feel for it, which i recommend if you're thinking of buying an ipod

Kunaak said:
do you have to deal with DRM, Digital Rights Management on Ipods?

not unless you purchase the music from the itunes music store

Kunaak said:
on my current MP3 player, DRM is enabled, and if I hook my MP3 player to another PC, it pops up with a question, "are you the owner..." if you say no, then it says "do you want to format the player?", if you say yes, then it tells you, you cannot play music from this player, or any other PC then the original one you had to Sync with, it's a huge pain in the ***, cause if I format my PC and reinstall my OS, then I have to wipe out the MP3 player, and start new.

an ipod will be able to play music on another computer through itunes without authorising anything. (i am pretty sure about this)

Kunaak said:
Do Ipods, allow easy ways to make "play lists", and import music directly into a playlist, without having to first import it to a library??

no, you have to add them to the library first, then make playlists. finding songs in itunes is extremely easy, though. you can download itunes and use it for free if you want to check it out.

Kunaak said:
is there any option for a external controller on Ipods?

like a remote? the newest ipods (with video or the smaller nano) do not have remotes. the older ipods do have remotes (or they can be purchased as accesories).

i like itunes i actually use it as my mp3 player cause its clean interface not too much of a resource hogs i generally play games with itunes running and just disable igame music and you can purchase music for them they have about 85% of the music i listen to and the new ipod/itunes allow you to watch video like sitcoms (sorta psp quality) now i use itunes and dont use a ipod an you can authorize your itunes account on 5 computers

Back