• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IDE and Floppy PCI Cards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XPC64

Registered
Here we go.

I have a Tyan K8WE motherboard with 2x246 Opties, and my IDE and Floppy ports both went out on me this morning. I have tried 3 optical drives, 2 FLoppy Drives, 2 optical and 2 floppy cables, and 2 power supplies, but I cannot read or write to either of them.

I can see the CD-RW in Windows, but cannot read or write to it. On the floppy side, I can see it in Windows as well, but can't write to it.

I guess my question is, are there PCI or PCI-X cards that I can use for the floppy and optical drives? I know there are add-on cards for the optical drives, but not the floppy.

If you know of any good ones, feel free to let me know.

Thank you.

There are many PCI cards which will do this. I don't know of any PCI-X ones which don't cost an arm or a leg though. A good option for not loosing any performance while not loosing your next pay check is to use SATA->PATA adapters for as many drives as you can & then to use a PCI card for the rest of the drives you may have (if you need to use a PCI card, the first devices I would add to it would be the optical drives as they won't be limited by the PCI bus).

XPC64 said:
Here we go.

I have a Tyan K8WE motherboard with 2x246 Opties, and my IDE and Floppy ports both went out on me this morning. I have tried 3 optical drives, 2 FLoppy Drives, 2 optical and 2 floppy cables, and 2 power supplies, but I cannot read or write to either of them.

I can see the CD-RW in Windows, but cannot read or write to it. On the floppy side, I can see it in Windows as well, but can't write to it.

I guess my question is, are there PCI or PCI-X cards that I can use for the floppy and optical drives? I know there are add-on cards for the optical drives, but not the floppy.

If you know of any good ones, feel free to let me know.

Thank you.

you should just use a usb floppy, they are bootable as well, looks like you found out how to get the pata pci cards

Well, I called Tyan, and they are cross-shipping me a new K8WE, so I hopefully I will have it tomorrow. Thank you.

Back