• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Virtual memory - windows xp swap file

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hey all..

I was just wondering what would be the optimum size for my swap file on my windowx XP pro box which I sue for gaming.

I have 1.25GB of ram on the system - and I have moved my swap file onto a drive that is different from the ones were most of my apps/games that I use are stored and run form - which I know is what is advised..

So I was just wondering what the optimum size for the swap file should be for the amount of ram I have on my sys.

Anyone got any experience or ideas on this? anyone done any tweaking in the past and found a decent average size for the swap file?

I know it's supposed to be like 3/4 of the size of your actual ram or something isn't it?

But I have heard some say that if you have over 512mb of ram then you dont really need a swap file or a HUGE swap file.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Last edited:
I'd suggest,leave it in auto mode,, and use Win's "System Info" msinfo32.exe,, to watch how much gets used,, check before you start a game,, then during,, I think you may find you don't use much if any.. My impression is that a fixed size is only good if the system never exceeds it,, with auto the system will only allocate additional mem if needed..

Jim

Exactly - you need to watch your computer usage and base it on that - everyone's is different.

With auto it may need to resize it right in the middle of doing something.

usually its recommended to have a swap twice the size of the ram, but in your case Id suggest a 1:1 config or go with win auto

D

007 said:
Hey all..

I was just wondering what would be the optimum size for my swap file on my windowx XP pro box which I sue for gaming.

I have 1.25GB of ram on the system - and I have moved my swap file onto a drive that is different from the ones were most of my apps/games that I use are stored and run form - which I know is what is advised..

So I was just wondering what the optimum size for the swap file should be for the amount of ram I have on my sys.

Anyone got any experience or ideas on this? anyone done any tweaking in the past and found a decent average size for the swap file?

I know it's supposed to be like 3/4 of the size of your actual ram or something isn't it?

But I have heard some say that if you have over 512mb of ram then you dont really need a swap file or a HUGE swap file.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Microsoft recommends 1.5 times your RAM. With 1.2Gig, your swap file should be 1.875 gig, I would bring it to 3072MB. Min & max make the same. So the swap does not grow or shrink

Back