• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xbox 360 vs. PS3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exfoliate

I imagine this has been covered before here but nothing really came up in the search results. I realize there are numerous sites discussing this but I would like to hear what you guys have to say:)
From what I've heard the PS3 is about 2x faster than the 360. At this point nobody can be sure but does that sound reasonable? http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614783p1.html
The above article shows a side by side spec comparison and the PS3 looks a lot more impressive be seems to fall a little short in ram size. Doesn't the 360 have 512MB's or vram and 512MBs or system memory? That should be superior to less but faster ram on the PS3 right? I'd just like a few opinions here. I'll likely get the Xbox 360 anyway as it'll be here half a year sooner but I like to see how things stack up.

Wait till they come out and there are FACTS to prove which is better.

But even then, there isn't really a better system. Look at PS2 vs XBox. Which is better? There is no clear answer, because it depends on which is better for the particular gamer, what games they like, ect.

It is impossible to tell at this point which one is more powerful than the other. For floating point the PS3 wins hands down. But for general processing power look no further than the 360. They both have their pluses and minuses and games will be optimized for each platform so it matters very little which one if 'faster'.

http://interviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/1190/Xbox-360-Interview-Todd-Holmdahl/p3/
This answered some questions but you guys were also very helpful, thanks:)
Although the guy interviewed in the article I linked is probably a little bias he seems to know what he's talking about and makes the 360 out ot be a very good match for the PS3.
I agree, it's the games that make the console, I would only call a console better than another on paper. But in practice the gamecube could be more fun than the PS3 for all we know.
Yeah I heard developemental software prices are scaring away developers for the PS3, not good, fortunatly it will still play PS2 (and 1) games.

Fanboys out of your corners!!!

Ready...

set...

FIGHT!!!!

If I get one, I'm getting the 360 because it'll have Oblivion... and even then it won't be for a few years after it comes out. :D

2x faster? Who cares... the thing won't be out for 7 months AFTER the 360... both will be outdated by the PC 1337. :p

I have to say I wasn't very impressed with the PS3 tech demos: a lot of low poly rubber ducks falling into a tub. Wooo great. If they weren't clipping like hell as they dropped or if the water splashed realistically, then that might have been better but I recon my 2.8 celly with a 9200se could have done that.

The 360 screens look amazing and the supposed 96000 polys per car on PGR3 blew my mind. We'll just have to see if it delivers on the day. I'd like to see at least some evidence of the amazing powers of the cell processor :rolleyes:. I talked to some people I know who do programming professionally and they said it looked like an a** to code for. Then again they hadn't actually been working on it so they could be wrong.

In the end I'll probably buy both and the Revolution from nintendo (all nintendo gaems ever available to download, I'll have some of that!). I've already got an xbox, NGC and a dreamcast, I skipped the PS2 because it was frankly rubbish compared to the xbox and I hate the controller.

Thanks man, wow sounds like one crappy tech demo! I bought a PS2 recently and I'm impressed with it, the gfx look pretty good for a 5+ year old console and it's smaller than I could have ever imagined. I just wanted alot of the games the platform has to offer like the Jak series, Ratchet and Clank, God of War, etc. No point buying an Xbox 1 now, 360 has pretty good backwards compatability. The game cube is cool but most of the games I'm interested in are for xbox or PS2 anyway, but at less than $100 in some places it's a steal. Revolution may not be as powerful but the idea of motion sensing interactivity is a pretty sweet tempation, imagine slicing you're foes by waving around that funky controller.

2x faster doesnt mean squat if the developing/programming costs, and difficulty are there, and they're. even the big game makers will have fun producing at those costs.

im a diehard PS fan since PS1, but i think the 360 will win this round. also a lot of the ps3 specs are inflated, the cell is a dog without a super powerful gpu. 360 games will be churring out like crazy. a lot of top developers despite their past loyalty to PS will start porting more and more to the 360.

although i guess we won't know till around next year...this will be close!

I am not taking sides until both are actually out. I don't see how you can. Too many people fall victim to the preemptive hype. Things are always better on paper then they are in real life. I will probably buy one (namely Xbox, due to the online support) relatively soon after release and the other after its first price drop. Like now, I bought an xbox about a year after its release (I was in college I had TONS of friends game systems I could game on) and then I didn't buy my PS2 until the slim came out.

The PS3 will definatly have some amazing power in some situations (I'd love to run seti on it!), but then in others it will be rather slow in comparison to a traditional design. I think in the end, as long a developers can figure out how to harness the power of the PS3 (I have my doubts) it may have an edge on the 360. However, I think atleast initialy the 360 games may look better simply because the 360 has a much easier design to work with than the cell design of the PS3 and a 4-6 month head start.

Both are a big step up in complexty from the current generation, though the PS2 was and still is an incredibly complex machine (needlesly complex in some ways however...) It will be interesting to see how well programers addapt to such different designs, I'd wager that most of them have had little or no experience with something like it before, so early on both systems are not going to be showing anywhere near their full power.

so far for me...i'm still with sony on this.

Mainly because Final Fantasy is still mainly on PS3.

Even though 360 will have FFXI...PFFFT, who cares. I have it on PC, my brother has it on PS2...and they arn't going to Re-do the entire thing to use even 1/4th the power of the X-box 360. It will be a direct port. So thats 150% worthless to me.

That and Metal Gear 4, Devil May cry 4, probably a new onimusha will be on PS3! Wootage. Also i KNOW another Dynasty Warriors will be made on PS3.

That and i'm a Traditional RPG fan. The only RPG's on the X-box i liked was KOTOR, and KOTOR 2. which came out on PC anyways. Other than that, X-box never could Fill my RPG needs.

Majority of RPG's come from japan...sony is japanese based Company.

Sorry, but most american companies can't make a good RPG. They have to go to do the whole Action RPG style ( Fable...which wasn't that great... ). While japanese go more torwards the Turn based RPG's...which is what i prefer myself.

Nothing agenst 360 at all. But unless i win one from the Pepsi contest, i won't buy one untill i see more than 4 games i want, thats X-box only, and ISN'T being ported to PC.

All about the titles to me.

Both will look INSANE! both will be super fast! and both will have their share of the games that appeal to a specific audience. Just all depends on where the games are.

Console Vs. Console isn't like a PC. If you have one PC, your friend has another...you both can play the same games. THATS when the specs, and the speed maters. But untill console games all have the exact same games, The spec argument will be a trivial Discussion that honestly won't mean Jack.

Just my 2 Cents.

Alot of the series I'm interested in are for Sony's consoles but 7 months is way too long to wait around for those games. There will be good stuff on the Xbox 360.

Well I heard either console would have better gaming experiences then a PC. Some articles say the next generation of gaming would be on consoles, because the whole architecture of the system is made for pure gaming, and nothing else. It'll be pretty cool if its made so that people can mod the consoles, like video cards and sound cards and all that nice stuff.

I dont know whats better but im gonna go with the 360. Ill give Ps3 the most interesting controller design award too. The only way you could get me to buy a PS3 is if:

They changed the case and controller design (ugly IMO)
Had Oblivion, Perfect Dark Zero, Halo 3, etc.
Cheaper than 360

...ok so im an Xbox fanboy. :santa:

millhouse said:
The only way you could get me to buy a PS3 is if:

They changed the case and controller design (ugly IMO)
Had Oblivion, Perfect Dark Zero, Halo 3, etc.
Cheaper than 360

...ok so im an Xbox fanboy. :santa:

I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm an XBox fanboy, but everything else holds true.

who cares what the console looks like? realistically, mine could be bright yellow and that doesnt affect my gaming experiance

Back