• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new dual-multi core xeon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

allenpan

Registered
seems to me is base on S604 package, i wonder it it will wok on the old NCCH-DL.. i hope asus update the bios for it, or someone make the new socket adapter for it!!!

can't wait to put a dual core xeon to each socket! i smell 8 WAYS with hperthreading

I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work with just a bios update, but personally I would be worried about heat, my Nocona's put out enough heat as it was.

allenpan said:
seems to me is base on S604 package, i wonder it it will wok on the old NCCH-DL.. i hope asus update the bios for it, or someone make the new socket adapter for it!!!

can't wait to put a dual core xeon to each socket! i smell 8 WAYS with hperthreading
I was hoping that they would work on the NCCH-DL since I just purchased one. Yeah, dual core dual cpu's would rock. :)

How do you like you MB? This is my first real Intel and I am a bit uncomfortable.

Shawn

chips that have thermal design power (TDP) of 135W and maximum power of 150W.

mot much hotter thjatn what we have consider is dual core!!!!

DC-xeons work in E7520 chipset only with s604. But ASUS can do that if they want. Email to them, but ASUS support sucks.

what u talkign about, asus support rocks, is just u don;t know how to use it, i am enduser/reseller i almost all the time max 2 min wait line and they alwasy solve my problem within an hour!

beside i think asus should make a new bios for all the 604/603 mobo so dual core can be use. else some enthuist will make it anyway

btw thx for no info in P4T-E
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13459&page=14

i found the bios for it

allenpan said:
what u talkign about, asus support rocks, is just u don;t know how to use it, i am enduser/reseller i almost all the time max 2 min wait line and they alwasy solve my problem within an hour!

I know that, but I'm not a reseller and most endusers are not either.

here is the review of dual-core Xeon vs dual-core Opteron...

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=paxville&page=1

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=paxville&page=2

Paxville" Xeons look similar to previous generation Socket-604 Xeon processors, but have an interesting twist. While these processors follow the same overall design and still plug in to Socket-604 sockets, the chips are physically larger compared to previous generation Socket-604 Xeons, in addition to the heat-spreader over the two processor cores being enlarged to accommodate the processors underneath. The larger design means that one edge of the processor hangs over the Socket-604 socket, which strikes us as quite odd. We did not run into any incompatibilities due to this larger processor, but than again, we tested with a "Paxville" ready motherboard.

While these new "Paxvlle" Xeons still run on Socket-604 sockets, we have confirmed that the majority of Socket-604 Xeon platforms currently on the market will be incompatible with this processor due to power and pin-level changes between single and dual-core Xeon processors. In order to run a new "Paxville" Xeon, you must have a certified dual-core ready platform, which at the moment do not exist on the retail market. We were lucky enough to get our hands on an early dual-core Xeon ready Intel E7520 motherboard from Asus. Our previous generation all-copper Socket-604 heatsinks were able to mount properly with these new dual-core Xeon processors, despite rumors stating that these new processors would require physically larger heatsinks.

*Sigh* Doesn't look like intel's making the right move here. Then agian the compaired the lowest of intels xeons to the top 4 Opterons.

"While these new "Paxvlle" Xeons still run on Socket-604 sockets, we have confirmed that the majority of Socket-604 Xeon platforms currently on the market will be incompatible with this processor due to power and pin-level changes between single and dual-core Xeon processors. "

that is that mean? if is just pin... can't they make a simple upgrade socket for it? like when tulatin running on regular S370 mobo where intel told everyone must use new S370-T mobo, but some company came out with a convertor soket for it.

the same is i865 "suppost" not uspport dual core but some mobo comapny makes it compatible...

someone please shine some light on to this

allenpan said:
that is that mean? if is just pin... can't they make a simple upgrade socket for it? like when tulatin running on regular S370 mobo where intel told everyone must use new S370-T mobo, but some company came out with a convertor soket for it.

All I know is what I read in that article, but even if someone made a converter board for these new DC Xeons, you would still be fighting to get bios support for the processors. Also you would be fighting the fact that the power circuitry on your older boards most probably won't be robust enough to reliably feed those power sucking beasts for long periods of time without blowing something out on the mobo. Looks like Intel has released yet another processor line that will force you to buy a new mobo to run it. :bang head :rolleyes:

Shelnutt2 said:
Then agian the compaired the lowest of intels xeons to the top 4 Opterons.

The Opteron 265 is the lowest speed rated DC Opty in the 2xx class I believe, and runs at an actual speed of just 1.8 GHz. That's as good a comparison proc for their test 2.8 Paxville as any. What astounds me is the outrageous power consumption figures for these DC Xeons. Put a couple of those in your room and you definitely won't have to worry about heating the room this winter. ;)

Shelnutt2 said:
*Sigh* Doesn't look like intel's making the right move here. Then agian the compaired the lowest of intels xeons to the top 4 Opterons.

i HATE review sites that do this! they will then go on about how intel got their arse handed to them from AMD - like come on!

apples to apples PEOPLE!

I do hope we are able to use the same motherboards although I dont need quad cpu's, it would be nice to be able to upgrade to that.(when the price comes WAY down)
The socket adapter thing sounds good, and would be worth it. Just would need an updated bios, or hope it works? Windows XP pro will do 4 cpus?

That Xeon that they tested is the ONLY ONE released by Intel in this year. (dual-core one)
So i dont understand the complaining.

http://news.com.com/Intel+speeds+dual-core+Xeon+debut/2100-1006_3-5833345.html

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/chips/0,39020354,39228255,00.htm

http://news.com.com/Intels+dual-cor...ut/2100-1010_3-5879468.html?tag=st.rc.targ_mb

Dell is bringing the new 2.8GHz chip to all of its dual-processor servers and to two workstation models. The products will begin shipping in October, said Neil Hand, Dell's vice president of worldwide enterprise marketing. Until then, he said, Dell is only taking orders from customers who agree to hold details under wraps.

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/xeon/index.htm

Last edited:
allenpan said:

beside i think asus should make a new bios for all the 604/603 mobo so dual core can be use. else some enthuist will make it anyway

Great support you say? so, where is the bios that lets us run noconas on the PC-DL mobo's? Right, there isent one. What is there then? there are modifyed bios versions that has some hardware not operating propperly due to the nature of the bios hacks, but with full 64bit functionality, showing that its more then possible, yet, Asus never gave a damn. Yeah, great support indeed. Hech, i can live without 64bit support, i just want the higher buss speed, so im looking for a pair of 1.6 LV's that actually overclocks to 3.2, and then i'll just shut up. But that dosent make the support good.

B!

Back