• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how high to oc 2800+ semp with pc 2700 kingston

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chickenfeed

Registered
I currently amrunning 768mb of kingston value ram pc2700. I will be ordering my 2800 semp and dfi nf3 this weekend :) so if you have any advice as to how far of an oc i could go for that would be great. I am going get 1 gig of ddr400 ocz in like 2 or 3 weeks so this is stricly temp. I heard 2.2ghz is safe on stock voltage and fan/heatsink so if my pc2700 makes it there ill be happy.
thz

You can use mem deviders if you ram can't go too high, and just watch your temps and try to keep them under 50c but it will be fine up to 60c, and I don't think you'll have to increase voltage at such speeds.

I have never ocd ram before so i am not sure what your saying. If you could pm or post an explanation or link me to a helpful post/site that would be great. Thanks for you help

I have never ocd ram before so i am not sure what your saying.I dont know what you need to monitor ram tempuratures and dont know what the divider is :/ If you could pm or post an explanation or link me to a helpful post/site that would be great. Thanks for you help

edit: sorry for double post. connection issue. my isp just came off a strike so they are still getting theit !@#% together :/

As example if it helps. I had my 2800+ A64 on stock setup @ 2.4 comfy for 4 months. Minus now I am currently on a differnet cooling solution and RAM. I would reduce your setup by 200MHz accordingly. It should run very nicely @ around 45° load depending on the conditions you create for it.

I think with even a .35 bump in voltage the box setup should not give you too much hassle for temps. Once I went past .40 I had the box cooler give me issues on heat.

The divider is running your RAM @ 266 instead of the 200MHz(DDR400). IF you was using PC2700, kick it down to 133, which will give you 266. This will not effect your performance to much. That is the divider the poster was mentioning. Droping the RAM down in speed and raising the CPU speeds up. You lower the RAM to give extra speed to the CPU, so you can have more overhead to go faster. Until you hit the limit of the RAM agian. :D Which in your case would be PC2700(333).

You lower the RAM so you can push the CPU even further. Then once the CPU gets to the point of running the RAM at the rated speeds.

Does this make sence?

Yeah thanks alot guys. Very good memory thread and guide. Thanks for links. Ill let you know how things go once i get the cpu and motherboard in here the next 2 weeks.

Most of the timem KVR PC-2700 will run @ PC-3200 speeds stabily...you might have to relax some of your timings, but it's almost guaranteed. Also, make sure you run a couple passes with memtest86 to make sure your memory is stable.

Actually only 512 worth of ram is the kingston. I have 256mb of ddr400 which came with this and it is some other (apacer or something) but everest home reports the ram as being the same besides the brand and speed. I was wondering i am gonning to eventually pick up a dual channel kit of less expensive ocz and sell the kingston to a friend. Since the dfi nf3 has the 3 dimms i could leave the 256 in im sure. Since its mostly shoddier ram i dont think the 256mb would make a noticible difference plus would affect the gig of matched ram.

Back