• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x512mb ram overclocks 50MHz less vs. 2x256

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker550

2x512mb ram overclocks 50MHz less vs. 2x256

I have/had 2x256mb tccd ram that would pass superPI 1m at 310MHz and superPi 32m at 300MHz. My 2x512mb pass superPI 1m at 260MHz and superPi 32m at 250MHz. Timings were 2.5-3-3-x T1 for both. I can get around 275MHz with 2x512 if I run T2 but this is slower than 250MHz with T1. Using any 4's in the timings doesnt really gain oc and just kills performance. Maybe some of you have really good ondie controllers but this is what mine does. People say 2x512mb at ddr500 is faster in games than 2x256mb at ddr600 and I hear people raving about 2 gigs of ram even though ill be lucky to be able to run 200MHz with 2.5-3-3-x T1. I think 1 gig is more than enough. 2 gigs is just way too slow and games dont need this much ram despite what some think.

Overclocker550 said:
2 gigs is just way too slow and games dont need this much ram despite what some think.

Today games do need 2GB's, prime examples BF2, COD2, F.E.A.R... and pretty much all the new games down the road. Main reason because of the high textures. You can get by with 1GB but you will be forced to turn down the settings and even then you will experience lack of memory and see the game hitch because it's switching back and forth to the page file.

2GB is the way to go these days and yes less dense RAM will OC better because it doesn't put much pressure on your memory controller since L1 cache can process it more efficiently.

how many sets of ram did you try?
what motherboard are you using?
how many cpus did you try?

you do not have enough evidence for ANY of the points you've made, i hope you don't influence anyone on these forums with this post.

crimedog said:
how many sets of ram did you try?
what motherboard are you using?
how many cpus did you try?

you do not have enough evidence for ANY of the points you've made, i hope you don't influence anyone on these forums with this post.

Crimedog r u talking about me or Overclocker?

Last edited:
2GIG!?! i run BF2 on only 512meg lol! and thats rith no problems, the most you need at the moment in my oppinion is about a gig ut im not a HUGE gammer like most on here so maybe im wrong!

I know the games are getting more demanding but i mean what 4 gig is the most you can have in a noormal board right??? a Gig would do me and it's what im buying sooon ;)

Back