• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1T or 2T, that is the question....lol

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Joeteck said:
What is the real major difference between the two?
You mean you couldn't find a dozen threads about this by searching? To summarize these threads, synthetic benchmarks show a significant increase in bandwidth when going from 2T to 1T, while in real-world performance (gaming framerates, 3DMark, SuperPi, etc) a gain of at most 4% (usually less) is realized. Some people insist on using 1T to squeeze every last bit of performance out of their rigs; however, stability definitely takes a hit when using 1T. It is usually harder to achieve the same memory clocks using 1T as opposed to 2T. My rig cannot run 1T even at stock settings, and upon asking Crucial about this, they responded: "We do not recommend 1T for our modules".

Joeteck said:
What is the real major difference between the two?
My experiments shows that 2T is about 20mhz drop in performance.
example: a ram set @ 230mhz 1T, is ~ 250mhz @ 2T.
I did super pi 32M and the difference is about 25-30 seconds, for same settings 270mhz 1T vs 2T.

Running 1T is especially important when you are not oc'ing. Some peeps out there make up for the 1T difference by running their memory at insanely high frequencies.

fldrice said:
Running 1T is especially important when you are not oc'ing. Some peeps out there make up for the 1T difference by running their memory at insanely high frequencies.

Actually running under 2T while OC'ing will give you better stability and most likely higher clocks, but there will be performance loss.

basically it's the same memory OC question it's always been

Bigger OC with 2T and relaxed timings

vs.

Smaller OC with 1T and tight timings

It depends on how high you can OC the ram. If you have a weak PSU in an ill-cooled case you're not going to be able to OC much, but you can tighten timings to improve performance.

The only way to really get the answer is to see how much of an OC penalty you get by tightening the timings and going 1T and then benchmark all the different combinations of max OC at various memory settings for the applications that matter most to you.

Back