• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

issue with MSI 865PE NEO2-V

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MikeyLikesItSI

I bought this board for a low cost build on a computer for my mother. I mounted a intel mobile 1.2 ghz 478 cpu on it with a good PSU i had laying around. I bought this board cause the price was right, and i thought the 865 chipset was supposed to clock up decently.

well.. i can't clock this thing any higher then 130x12, and thats with 1.700 vcore!! i'm using PC3200 memory, so there shouldn't be an issue there...

Just a few months before that, i set up another computer for my father. I used the same type of CPU (mobile 1.2) and a p4s800 board. That thing clocked right up to 218x12, and i'm pretty sure it would go higher if you could lock the AGP. I figured this MSI board would clock better for that reason. I tested both CPU's in both boards. the p4s800 will clock them both up to 218x12 with 1.612 vcore, and the MSI won't clock either of them higher then 115x12 with the same vcore....

Is this board really that bad? should i just look for another $30 p4s800? or maybe this board has a problem of some sort? i've noticed that any programs i use to access temps/volts, doesn't show the 12v rail, only speedfan did, and that showed it at 4 volts, but DMM says the rail is at 12.2v......

MikeyLikesItSI

Did you do all the normal overclocking stuff ??
(Forgive me for asking if you did, just trying to help )

Like....
Lock the agp to 66/33 ( 67/34 might be the lowest you can get to )
turn off spread spectrum
bump up the vdimm to 2.7V or 2.8V

What is your memory frequency set at ? if it is on auto try setting it to 400

Sometimes this board struggles with dividers . with that chip you might have to set the memory to 333. With the 3200 the board will try to run a 4:5 divider

Good Luck and keep us posted :thup:
Dave

yeah, AGP/PCI locked, ram could only be set to 266 (running at 100fsb), spread spectrum disabled, mem voltage @ 2.9, lax timings (shouldn't even need it as its already underclocked quite a bit), 1.7 agp voltage, everything not in use (serial, parallel etc) is disabled so on and so forth...... i know its not the CPU, and clocked the memory to 235fsb on another board.... do you think this board is just that lousy at clocking? or does this sound more like a damaged component?

Back