• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new to overclocking ram with amd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Translucid

Registered
ok here are my settings in my supplied link, i have no idea what any of the settings "aside from timmings" mean in a64 tweaker, would like to know what you guys think would be the best settings for them. i have never had an amd processor before, always was with intel. right now i am running 11 x 216 gunna see what i can get it up to stable.

I suggest that you forget about the A64 tweaker for now and use the variables in the bios to overclock. Once you have maxed out there then you can look at the tweaker to try and get a bit more performance, but I don't think it's the place to start, particularly being new to a A64. Start by using a divider and seeing your cpu will clock. Theset it back down to stock, get a bootable memtest86 floppy and start upping the ramand cpu at one to one. When you figure out high high your ram and CPU can go then use a divider to try and max out your ram at the highest htt your CPU will run. Always go for the highest cpu clock speed and settle for the highest divider that will run stable with your ram. If I am not being too clear there are plenty of stickys on this. Good luck.

thanks for the help, should i loosen my timmings before i try to max my cpu? or just keep them at 2336 its only pc3200 ram, but from what i seen the geil gold dragon clocks well even for 3200

Try leaving the timings where they are when you are overclocking them. Then once you have gotten to the unstable point, try loosening the timings and continue to raise the HTT.

Knowing how high your ram will clock with tighter timings may come in handy later. Sometimes the best speed to run ram is the higest it will go running CL2.

You won't be able to push the geils very far. If you're lucky, you'll achieve about 230-235mhz. Also, keep the vdimm at around 2.8v...those golden dragons don't play well with high vdimm.

i noticed that i am having trouble getting them to 220 at 2.8 vdimm i have to loosen the timmings to like 2.5 4 4 9 or something and even then i dont think its stable. crashed doing a benchmark in 3dmark 05

hmmm pitty this ram isnt good, since it cost like 220 bucks, nice to look at though =P

Back