• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Upgrades?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nathan0490

Conroe Hoe
Im upgrading a Fry's PC FM7650 for a customer.

He composes music and edits video like for weddings and events of the such...(Guitar and other instruments)

Editing software this setup will be used with:

AVID Xpress Pro HD -
http://www.avid.com/products/xpressprohd/

Sony ACiD Pro 5.0c - http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/Products/ShowProduct.asp?PID=928

--------------------------------------

Factory Spec Sheet:
http://www.fryssupport.net/fm7650.cfm

4 Upgrades-

4 x OCZ Value Series 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model OCZ4001024V3 - Retail

FSP Group (Fortron Source) FSP400-60THN-R ATX12V 400W Power Supply - Retail

HP Black IDE Lightscribe DVD Burner Model DVD740vi - Retail

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro 70SB036000000 8 (7.1) Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

~ Already Purchased ~

Subtotal: $791.83
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $24.81 (UPS 3 DAY)
Total: $816.64

Opinions please... ~

Think your going overboard on the RAM...I'd get 2 more 1gb sticks and run 2.5gb (that's a lot of ram...I don't think editing adn stuff uses that much)

Havn't speced out prices, but how much would a new mobo and Pentium D cost (minus the selling of the 3.2 chip?)

might be worthwhile.

yah defientely wayy too much ram. practically nobody needs 4gb of ram nowadays unless they're editing like movies for hollywood. for the stuff he does 2gb of ram is plenty and a good cpu and sound card are vital.

4 gigs of RAM is nice, but overkill.
you are adding RAM, a PCI card and maybe another drive so a better PSU is indicated.
replacing the 8x burner with a 16X burner good idea. (but you could have done better on the price with a different make)
Sound card, I don't know about. Did you look at the Creative X-fi?

Avid Express pro seems to require somewhat pricey Quadro graphics cards. The FX5200 might not be good enough.

fabulouscoops said:
4 gigs of RAM is nice, but overkill.
you are adding RAM, a PCI card and maybe another drive so a better PSU is indicated.
replacing the 8x burner with a 16X burner good idea. (but you could have done better on the price with a different make)
Sound card, I don't know about. Did you look at the Creative X-fi?

Avid Express pro seems to require somewhat pricey Quadro graphics cards. The FX5200 might not be good enough.

where did u hear the xpress pro requires a quadro?

I got all the stuff but the Sound card from ups today... they left a $500 package on my porch without permission, anyways it all went in good and the 4 gb of ram boots that sucker in like 3 seconds flat. its insane lol

Nathan0490 said:
I got all the stuff but the Sound card from ups today... they left a $500 package on my porch without permission, anyways it all went in good and the 4 gb of ram boots that sucker in like 3 seconds flat. its insane lol

me want 4gigs :cry: :p

4 gigs is just not the way to go, at least yet.

I use 2x512 and it's perfect. 2x1gb may be my route sooner or later for future games.

4 gigs? I hope your job is paying for that b/c you're some sort of graphic designer! :D

I'd say 2x1GB will become almost the standard within the next year or two, most people that buy new systems are already considering 2x1GB as of now.

4GB may be overkill, but since you already have it, try it around and see if it's too much or not.

Back