• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you tell what is wrong with a laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n0irsmurf

Well, it was about a year and a half ago to two years... and I was messing around with knoppix on my gateway solo 1450. Lightening stuck and everything went out. But my laptop was still on (worked fine). I went to turn it off and boot back to Windows... but it didn't come back on :bang head . I am not sure what happened, I mean, I waited like a good 10 minutes before turning it off and it just didn't boot. I pulled it out of the closet today to mess with it, and I have no idea what could be wrong. I'm thinking the mobo is gone. But I'm not sure.

Any sugestions.

PS. Oh, yeah, and it just missed the 1 year warrenty by like 2-3 weeks so they wouldn't take it back to look at it. They even gave tons of directions on how to "fix" it and nothing worked.

1cem4n said:
well it seems like it doesn't work. locate a pc shop and ask them to troubleshoot it.

-1cem4n

I did that too... they didn't know what was wrong and they told me it would be cheaper to just buy a new laptop than the labor for them too find out what is wrong.

zip22 said:
can you try a new battery charger and maybe battery?

I don't have 50-100 dollar to buy a new battery or to buy a new charger, I've tried my car charger with it, no luck though.

Try unplugging your AC adapter, remove the battery, press the power button a few times (in order to discharge the caps), then put back the battery in along with the AC line. Try to power it up.

That fixed the same symptons on my older compaq presario, and one sony once. Worth a try I guess :D

Back