• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you use a pci express device, in a x16 graphics slot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elec999

Can you use a pci express x8 storage device (Areca ARC-1210), in a x16 pci express slot ment for video card.
Thanks

Yes. According to this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

You can use any lower x in a higher x slot (1x in 16x slot, 2x in 8x slot...) but *not* the other way around.

Might want to make sure your motherboard and/or chipset let you choose which PCI-E slot is the video card, if you're going to be using an x16 video card and sticking the controller in the other one.

Also you will need to configure the slot to use 8 lanes instead of 16 if it isn't done automatically. Anyone care to confirm this with personal experience - I've never used PCI-E in real life.

I have no PCI-Express cards (other than video card) so I can't say from experience, but as long as it fits in the slot, it should work. A 16x card will work in an 8x slot (same slot), a 1x card will work in a 4x slot, 4x in a 16x, ect. I don't believe you have to set a 16x slot down to 8x for it to support 1x (or 4x) cards, but I may be wrong.

elec999 said:
Can you use a pci express x8 storage device (Areca ARC-1210), in a x16 pci express slot ment for video card.
Thanks
It should. If you have an SLI board, you may have to assign more lanes to the second slot (they're either x1/x16 or x8/x8).

Back