• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

yonah lovers rejoice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i would think close to that time period, it will be nearing conroe time...which would be pointless to own a hybrid in the meantime...

the best bet is to get a 975x board, use your current processor and save money for conroe :)

i read that this morning too i think... the 479 is gonna become incompatable with current 479 and (seperately) theres some tricky stuff with the chipsets... if i read it right....
i was excited about yonah, but that would defanitely rule it out.. thats why i have my sig...

that`s incorrect
intel never confirmed that it would retain
the 479 pinout
plus the 479 pinout count are not compatible
with the current intel chipsets
intel intends to go with 2 sockets
socket t for desktop processors
socket ? for mobile processors
the word out is that both yonah and conroe
will use the same socket

if you read, that is what i stated (skt t = desktop), it has been out for awhile now, and will continue for a few years. what are you talking about? and where have you been? of course yonah/479 is not compatible with current chipsets, seeing it will use the napa platform and new chipset.

desktop: socket t lga 775

mobile: so far it is 479, i have not seen ANY documentation at work otherwise. spite some changes w/ viiv and sossaman that are discussed otherwise on the forums. obviously they are not deciding what it will be, seeing the wafers are next door to my office...lol. if you can provide ANY documentation otherwise, please show me.

secondly yonah and conroe have nothing to do with eachother. yonah is a dc mobile chip, conroe(775) is a desktop chip based on the merom core (new intel arch), merom is the mobile and successor to yonah, obviously based on the merom core. the "word out" is what is above.

thanks

Everything I have read from trusted sources and those who work in the industry has said that Conroe will be a 775 CPU. I have not read anything that has said anything other than that.

Intel will not change a working 775 socket that is handling high power deamnds when the power depnads of the new CPU's will be less. Designing another socket would be suicide. There wis no rason to change that socket. It is working perfectly. it costs big moiney to engineer and gear up for a new socket design. That would only waste money.

We have guys on here that work for Intel that have told me directly that 775 is THE socket for the Conroe. The Yonah is supposed to be 479 from what I've been told. I cannot fathom a reason why they would change that. There is no reason at all why they would.

I need to get with the program on the new Intel chips coming out. They're lookin' real good. I don't have a clue about anything Intel.

and this web page it states that yonah
will use the new socket 480
so it is really hard to tell which socket pin-out
intel will switch to

and this web page it states that yonah
will use the new socket 480
so it is really hard to tell which socket pin-out
intel will switch to

here`s another page
it says mpga480

where? where? zdnet, and that article is full of holes. "intel declined comment for the story"....yup,

Intel readies expanded chip lineup
Kai Schmerer, Michael Singer
CNET News.com
October 13, 2005, 12:40 BST

A confidential Intel road map seen by ZDNet UK sister site CNET News.com reveals that the chipmaker will market a dizzying hodgepodge of chips in 2006. Some will have two cores on a single piece of silicon, while others will have one core.

WOW, this is breaking news. they must have missed IDF.

Intel's first round of Viiv entertainment-branded PCs will be included on Intel motherboards code-named Bad Axe, Palm Canyon and Bear Canyon. Each motherboard will include LGA775 packaging for 3.60GHz and higher processor frequencies. These computers will rely on the upcoming Yonah notebook chip.

3.6ghz and higher = P4/PD, Yonah, will not even be clocked at those speeds. although i have read that Yonah will be used in some if any models, it will not be 3.6ghz and higher :shrug:...as for the LGA775, i think they got thier facts mixed up obviously. Yonah may use it's native socket, or a custom package "for limited models only" (viiv platforms), but it's native socket will be 479 as of date, unless it changes magically.

Ultimately, Intel's future Pentium 4 line can be broken into two families: Presler chips, which are due in the first part of 2006 and Conroe desktop processors, which are due in the second half of 2006. Both dual-core processors will be based around an 800MHz front-side bus, which helps speed the chip's complex computations.

Presler, the successor to Smithfield, features two physically separate Cedar Mill processor cores in a single package. The chipsets accompanying Presler will feature EM64T (64-bit translation capabilities); virtualisation that juggles multiple tasks by dividing them into separate regions for personal, work and administrative uses; enhanced speed step to help power up and down the processor cycles; LaGrande security system; and execute/disable, or XD technologies, which were designed to work with operating systems like Microsoft Vista to head off virus and Trojan threats.

Intel motherboards based on Presler and its corresponding 945P and 945G chipsets include code names such as Radio Springs, Palm Canyon and Marblewood.

P4, Conroe has not officially been labled a P4, i haven't even read any info regarding what it will be labeld P4/PX who knows. maybe PD? P5? fsb is right for CDM on some models except for the EE, but for Conroe that is incorrect. Conroe is also using a Merom core, most sites get it backwards.

other than that the article is "ok".

vulcanman09 said:
here`s an updated article

http://www.digitimes.com/bits_chips/a20051018PR201.html

scroll down to

intel intends to

Intel intends to launch Merom as pin-to-pin compatible with Yonah, Eden mentioned, so Napa systems are expected to be upgradeable through inserting a new processor and a BIOS upgrade. Announced at IDF Taiwan, preliminary specifications of Yonah are following: 65nm technology, 151 million transistors (12.3 million in cores), 2MB of level-two cache shared between two cores and dynamically allocated, 667MHz front-side bus (FSB), PGA478 or BGA479 socket. In addition to dual-core Yonah and Merom, the company has already started thinking about mobile processors with four and more cores, Eden said.

this confirms basically verbatim to what i've stated above. intel's major pr is/was (now) to make Yonah/Merom 479/ or 478/479 IF you want to get technical. when i speak of Merom, i speak of the mobile chip Merom w/ a Merom core...as does the article quote above (note Napa - mobile platform).

Conroe, which is NOT mobile, IS LGA775, Conroe is the desktop version of Merom arch. where are you confused?

Back