• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

if i change my motherboard...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grayg

If I change my motherboard to a pci-e mobo from an agp one will I need to format my hard drive and install everything again?
Or can I get away with just uninstalling all my drives and using driver cleaner and then installing the new ones??

You don't really have to reformat if you are putting in a new mobo. but sometimes though there will be times where the compatibility "gap" is so huge that you will just have to back up and start fresh over. however, if you wanted to, you could start eveything in safe mode, and uninstall drivers there, then install new ones. I have done this in the past and it ussually worked.

I take it you mean this:
1) safe mode, uninstall drivers and shut down comp
2) swap motherboards and boot up again
3) install drivers
??

thanks

And you can do the super-lame method of just installing windows over itself which won't completely wipe out your registry or require you to format.

Thanks, I know it is not a thing I should do but, I really can't be bothered going through the regular 3 hrs of installing everything onto the computer all over again gets more and more annoying everytime you do it.

You think that's bad? Try doing a stage 1 gentoo install (however, you don't have to re-install linux when you change motherboards, just re-compile the kernel).

lowfat said:
Am I the only one who likes to reformat?
you could become the reformater and get paid by us all, you'd be rich lol

lowfat said:
Am I the only one who likes to reformat?

I try to reformat my OS partitions at lessed once every 2 month and a full format every year or so. Its just nice having a clean slate to work on.

Back