• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rig: Anyway to make this cheaper?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/WishShareShow.asp?ID=1681533&WishListTitle=Lake+Build

I'm struggling to cut prices for this rig that I might build for my dad. It's for our other house, so it doesn't need strong graphics or processing, but I'd like it to be decent. I've considered either getting a stronger graphics card (for ~50 bucks) that will hold it's own memory, OR get 256 or 512mb more RAM for ~$25-$50), so that the onboard will have some system memory to feed on w/ out interference. Other than that, I'm still trying to figure out how to get this thing down...I'm looking for sub-$600 pricing here, anyone see any possibilities?

I know I can get small things like the fans at a lower price (trying to be quietish w/ them though), and I know I can get a wireless-B wireless card, but the Linksys Wireless-B one sucks horribly (and the network is G)....other than that I'm stumped.

Why the 92mm fan? You're not using anything that requires high power, so it's rather wasted.

Maybe go for the Fortron AX400-PN. You don't even need that much power, to be honest.

I'd get another 512MB memory.

You could go for a cheaper Wireless G adapter. Doesn't have to be Linksys, just make sure it supports the same security features that your router does, and it will work.

Is it for business or personal use? if its for business then yeah, you would need to buy windows. A cheaper wireless card would be fine. I bought a few foxconn's and hawkings and they work just fine.

dont buy windows? get a second hand monitor or look on ebay for 1/2 other things thats my suggestion!

so far ive spent 200quid on computer parts over 260doller maybe more lol and thats just on memory and watercooling

the case is another 100, cpu 150, gfx atleast 140 mb 100! eek! thank god i got an interest free overdraft!

tho i dont need windows i have it already ;)

Well I took out the stupid Linksys adapter...now I'll be buying a DLink one that's a good bit cheaper. Thx for that help....anyone see anything else here? Man this is a toughie.

Bump...took out the Dlink adapter and replaced it w/ a $20 w/e name adapter. The adapter has great reviews and is very linux compatible :D

Back