• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PC build, CDRW tray will not open.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nasdaq

Hello everybody! Just finished building a basic, inexpensive PC for a friend and when I powered it on the case fan, CPU fan and the power LED came on. Thinking everything was going OK I push the CDRW button to open the tray. I did not open and by the sounds of it the HDD isn't spinning either.

Just wondering what my next step would be in trying to resolve this issue. Here are the specs:

ECS 755-A2 mobo
AMD Sepron 2800+ CPU retail box
Western Digital 40GB HDD
256x2 Kingston DDR RAM
Gerneric 52x CDRW
Antec 1600 case w/300watt PSU

Both the CDRW and HDD are on separate IDE channels and set to master.

something is probably grounded out.

unconnect accessories not needed for pc to startup like case fans etc.

what i would do is just leave the hdd, cpu fan and video card(if it uses a molex for power). try to start up the pc. if it does than your definitely grounded out somewhere.

do you have alot of fans, etc connected?

last resort, how many watts is the psu and how many devices or hooked up to it?

Thanks for all the responses but I figured it out, with the help of everyone here. I had the IDE cable to the CDRW inserted the wrong way. Can't believe that would cause the CDRW and HDD to not receive power.

Back