• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(newbie question) how do I update my bios?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tLove

Ok, sorry this is a noob question but its simple.
How do I update my bios for my p4p800se motherboard?
I downloaded the latest one from Asus's site (its acutally a beta, but I don't mind.
It's in a zipped folder called "1010-001.zip", and inside that is a single file called "P4P800SE-ASUS-1010.001"

I took out my floppy drive, so how do I go about updating the bios with a burned CD?

Thanks!

I've never done it from a CD...faster and safer for me to plug the FDD back in for 5 min. than burn a CD ;) You should be able to create a bootable CD and then burn the AFUDOS program along with that P4P800SE-ASUS-1010.001 file. You might want to rename that file before adding it to the ISO because you'll need to remember/type the whole file name in when flashing later...I'd just do something like "1010.001"

After you create the bootable CD with the flash app and file on it, reboot, set all BIOS params to defaults and set your CD drive to boot before the HDD if it's not already. With the CD you created in the drive, it should then boot the CD on restart and end up giving you a command/DOS prompt after it loads the resources. You should be able to just type AFUDOS /? to get help/the switches and command format, but that should be it.

According to the Asus manual for your board (see my sig below :D:D ),
You can use the Asus EZ Flash feature to flash your BIOS.
Copy the "P4P800SE-ASUS-1010.001" file to your desktop or any convenient location. Rename that file to " P4P800SE.ROM " (w/o quotes) & burn it to a CD. Insert the CD in your CD-ROM drive & start the comp. While comp is booting, repeatedly hit ALT + F2. The comp will look for the P4P800SE.ROM file on a floppy & when it fails to find the floppy, it should look for that P4P800SE.ROM file on the CD. when it finds the P4P800SE.ROM file it will then flash your BIOS. reboot & hit DEL while booting to enter BIOS Setup & set all your parameters.
Good luck!
-Dave

Back