• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD chipset ? is it coming ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtreme Barton

would like to know if so and if not why ?? money, technology issue ??

i think if amd could produce a chipset they would highly benefit in alot of areas !!

they don't because they have this company atmosphere, where if the market already has good chipset support, they don't try to cut them out of the market. They usually make a reference type chipset, when no one else has a chipset that will support their CPU's being released. Otherwise, don't expect one from them. Only in the server MP market should you expect one from them.

About 5 years ago they had a chipset for their TBird cores. I still have one that I'm using. I don't know why they never did it after that.

Know Nuttin said:
they don't because they have this company atmosphere

i bet alot of "there" "feelings" came from the whole intel thing .. just my assumption

not worth the investment, and as already mentioned, they like to work with people, not cut them out of the market when they are there to help. It's just easier for them. Less resources, less headaches, less tech support when things go wrong. Plus it makes them look real nice, by not pushing other's out of the market.

Honestly, they made that chipset because no one at the time could make a decent one. Plus it was their MP version that they made available to support desktop CPU's so it wasn't a big deal. It quickly lagged behind in features though, and they probably saw how it wasn't financially sound to make chipsets.

Xtreme Barton said:
i bet alot of "there" "feelings" came from the whole intel thing .. just my assumption
Quite possibly.

I think that AMD does not produce chipsets because they feel that Intel is stifling the market by developing inhouse chipsets. To be honest, AMD seems more content to simply set standards for relating with their products and permitting chipset manufacturers to innovate on their own.

Xtreme Barton said:
would like to know if so and if not why ?? money, technology issue ??

i think if amd could produce a chipset they would highly benefit in alot of areas !!
What about the AMD-8000 chipset. It was the first K8 chipset, and I think you can still find smp boards based on it.

not trying to find anything ..

just wondered why they arent making some kick butt chipsets to go with there kick butt cpu's ..

Xtreme Barton said:
not trying to find anything ..

just wondered why they arent making some kick butt chipsets to go with there kick butt cpu's ..

because nvidia already makes some kick butt chipsets to go with their kick butt cpu's and gpu's? :shrug:

I have a friend who has and AMD chipset on his serverboard, AMD has 1 or to chipsets outhere, there jsut not very common

Could it be that they make enough memory chips and CPUs to keep the market happy. AMD is still very tiny. Once they condensed the product lines made, they started to gather marketshare. Now they can pump out what they do make, and keep the R&D on the markets they want. Let the companies that make chipset make chipsets. We have how many companies making them right now? I think like 6 so that arena is rather crowded.

Yes I agree the older chipsets they had were alright. Once Via started to make the chipsets for them. AMD gained marketshare and became less responsible for issues the (chipsets) gave us. How much did the CPU's take off in terms of power once they dropped making chipsets?

It seems slowly the chipset is being gathered on the CPU anyways.

Back