• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

script

Registered
First and formost I'd like to say hi to everyone here. Hi. Also I'd like to mention that I'm not an expert with computers and I don't plan on installing any parts my self.

Ok I've had my current computer( Dell 4700c :[ ) for almost a year now. it was a gift, but it's time for an upgrade considering all the games coming out.

Current Specs:

Pentium4 Processor 520 with HT technology(2.80 Ghz, 800FSB)

512 Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz(2x256M)

64MB PCI Express x16 ATi RAdeon x300SE

160GB SATA (7,200rpm) Hard Drive

160W Power supply
----

Also, like I mentioned before, I'm not good with computers and I don't know what my motherboard is. SO if someone can tell me, or tell me how to find out, many thanks.

Ok from what I can tell is:

-I need more RAM (1GB)
-New GFX card (7800 maybe)
-New Power Supply 450W+)
-I'd also like a new case (Nice one, external LCD temperature reading, good cooling.)
---------

So if someone can provide me links that would be nice. Also, I don't know how much I have to spend but I'm guessing 500$+ so any amount within that range would be appreciated.

Thanks.

DELL COMPATIBLE PSU's - HIGHLY RECCOMENDED

Dell Computers proprietary to the custom psu and case. Meaning you have to get a new psu direct from dell or from PC Power & Cooling which would be better, and for the case you cant upgrade unless you do alot of modding. If you have aim msg me at: Nathan0490 i will find the pc power & cooling 500 watt psu link and post here as well. Also let us know if you have 2 or 4 slots for ram this is important.

EDIT-

PSU-

They make one model thats compatible with the 4700....

Silencer 470 watt (520 peak) Dell PSU

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S47D

$156.45 Shipped ~

(FedEx Ground Shipping)

Graphics Cards-

in the catagory of 7800's, you choose a GT or GTX...(these are both factory oc'ed)......

BFG Tech GeForce 7800GT OC - $379.00 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143037

BFG Tech GeForce 7800 GTX OC - $509.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143036

***Neither of these is really hard to install with the PSU its pretty much take each plug out one at a time and replug the new cord from the psu into it, pretty simple, for Graphics card you carefully slide it into the PCI-E x16 slot after removing the old one, and install the drivers once you boot to the desktop.***

BTW... :welcome: to the forums!

Last edited:
i highly recommend just waiting a bit till you can just make a whole new computer. dells are hard to upgrade IMO.

-1cem4n

1cem4n said:
i highly recommend just waiting a bit till you can just make a whole new computer. dells are hard to upgrade IMO.

-1cem4n

its not hard iceman u just have to make sure the psu is compatible, and obviously he has a pci-e x16 mobo already he should be in good shape with these upgrades, only thing i didnt list was new ram.

Thanks.

Sorry, I have two slots for RAM. So im limited to 2GB.

Alright, since I cant get a case w/o modding, would fans help?

I would just beef up RAM & gfx card, if I were you instead of new system. What kinda display are you running?

1024*768

And what about a power supply? Wouldn't it help any in the performance?

Back