• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Out of the loop and looking to upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squads

Hi all,
I haven't upgraded in nigh on 2 years at this point and my system is becoming seriously dated (check sig except i'm using an slk-800, not a volcano). I have a good case but I need a new:
mobo
processor & heatsink
vid card
psu
memory

I think i can get by with the hdd and optical drives i have now. I dont really have time to figure out what's good out there now. It would be cool if someone could tell me what i'd get for around $800. I F.E.A.R. my current system is going to get pwned (by F.E.A.R.). :p

Oh yea also, how much do you think i could get for the old mobo, processor, heatsink, vid card, and memory?

Well I don't think you would get much for that here at the forums, but if you could sell it localy you'd get more for it. About what you should get I think it should be a:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Socket 939 or better
DFi Lanparty series board (there are a couple it's up to you which one fits your need)
RAM you could either get something will TCCD(loose timmings, high clock speed) or something with UTT(tight timmings, not as high clockspeed, but still up there)
nVidia Geforce 7800gt or Radeon X1800Xl(if prices drop)
In repect to the psu, I was suggested the Fortron bluestorm 500w, but I found out that it isn't enough for my system, but that might be cause I have a dual core cpu, so I think it would be fine for you.
For cooling, I don't know much the the XP series from Thermalright are some of the best aircooling hs, but you need to get a fan separately.

DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D $128.00
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ OEM $133.90
Thermalright XP-120 $48.99
eVGA GeForce 6800 GT $279.99
Forton AX500-A $79.49
OCZ Gold VX 2x512MB PC4000 $145.00
Total: $815

A tad over the budget. Looks like you can't really get the higher end video cards. The Forton should do fine for you, you won't need something stronger like the OCZ Powerstream unless you get a high end video card or go SLI.

that looks pretty tight, i've seen some threads about the opteron 144's which i might wait around and see how they perform. I suppose I would spend the extra 150 or so to get a top of the line card and psu to power it (like a 7800GT). Thx for the suggestions.

Back