• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dfi lanparty nfii ultra b - ram suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
Hi,

I am looking to upgrade the RAM in my Socket A LanParty NFII Ultra B motherboard. I am currently running three 512mb sticks of PC3200, two are Kingmax and won't run at 200fsb unless I drop the CAS latency to 3, and even then they are sometimes problematic. The other stick is a stick of Corsair that does 200fsb at 2.5 CAS; none of the sticks will boot windows at even 210fsb with increased voltages... so I want new RAM.

I checked out the sticky thread on RAM suggestions and found a great deal of options... what have people on these forums had great success with on overclocking Athlon XP boards? Or better yet, what RAM have people on these forums used in their DFI Lanparty boards and had great success with? I'm looking for at least 1 GB and I would like to at least hit the 230fsb mark. I'm also looking for quality RAM that can handle increased voltages/speeds well and can perform well with tight timings. What would you suggest?

Thanks.

B

I got 1gig (512*2)Mushkin PC-3200 2-2-2 Special that I ran in that same board I hit 250fsb @3.3v with them.... gonna put them up for sale in the forums later today.

If you can find some bh5 ram like rcillig has that would be best. I have the Kingston bh5 which has worked out great.

You should also check out the dfi street forum since there is a ton of dfi specific tweaking information and modified bios there.

julianba said:
If you can find some bh5 ram like rcillig has that would be best. I have the Kingston bh5 which has worked out great.

You should also check out the dfi street forum since there is a ton of dfi specific tweaking information and modified bios there.

Yeah I have bh5 kingston as well and it works fine. Also have to you tried the sticks out by themselves, mixing ram can cause problems.

Hi, thanks for the tips. I've read in the past (I think on the DFI forums actually) that BH5 chips were top-notch. i've tried the modules individually and in different slots and neither of the kingmax sticks will run at 200fsb unless i drop the CAS to 3. the corsair runs fine at 200fsb (not prime stable) at CAS 2.5. this is all with running the processor at stock speed and 1.45vcore (it is a mobile athlon 2600+).

do these use bh5 chips?

thanks for the help.

Last edited:
benbaked said:
Hi, thanks for the tips. I've read in the past (I think on the DFI forums actually) that BH5 chips were top-notch. i've tried the modules individually and in different slots and neither of the kingmax sticks will run at 200fsb unless i drop the CAS to 3. the corsair runs fine at 200fsb (not prime stable) at CAS 2.5. this is all with running the processor at stock speed and 1.45vcore (it is a mobile athlon 2600+).

do these use bh5 chips?

thanks for the help.

I don't think you can buy bh5 ram brand new anymore, since winbond stopped manufacturing it. Your best bet would be the classifieds on overclockers or ebay. The part number for kingston bh5 would khx3200k2/1g. Mushkin bh5 is generally regarded as the best, but kingston or buffalo technology also made bh5 dimms and would work well for your system. Do a search in the memory forum and you will find all kinds of information on bh5 ram.

i was checking out some ram and so far i've liked what i've read about the muskin redline series. i was reading and i may be wrong but it looks like both of these kits use UTT chips.

xp3200
xp4000

should i spring for the more expensive xp4000 redline or would the xp3200 redline suffice? i'm also looking at upgrading my power supply (right now i have a 400w antec that I also believe is part of the problem) and was looking at these two:

vantec 520w
thermaltake 480w

thanks in advance for the help, i appreciate it. :cool:

Back