• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a new rig... Timeframe 1-2 months

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Time for a new rig... Timeframe 1month or less.

Ok its been a while since I put new found life into my computer except a video card last year and a LCD this year. I need a complete hardware rework.

Things I do/use..

Gaming: Latest and greatest games, Quake 4, FEAR, AOEIII, BIA, etc. I love my games and I do game quiet a bit so I prefer a choice.

Applications: OS WinXP, and will probley go to Vista when it comes out (or at least try the trial version of it to start with), I use word apps, Photoshop, Video Encoding (mainly small 30second to 3min videos at 1280x720res), 3D Max, AutoCAD. Some odds and ends here and there.

Timeframe: Before X-Mas preferable, so I can include new Graphic Cards and also new motherboards into idea's

Looking at:
- X2 3800/4400 with a high end heatsink, looking for 2.5Ghz+
- 2gigs of Ram, preferably high speed
- High end video card, hopfully a 512meg version (NO SLI!)
- I prefer Abit, Antec, Corsair products but always willing to try new items
- Currently I love my ATI cards, and really like the new architecture of the R520's
- HDD's SATA Only. Something thats quiet/fast, looking for at least 300G total, preferably 2 drives, bigger size doesn't hurt either (these will not be raided)

So I guess from there take it away. Truely its been a while since I build a new system, and even at that I really don't know anything about OCing AMD systems. The reason for the switch is lower wattage, and less power consumption overall. I could care about little differences between Intel and AMD, I just want something thats good.

So start tossing out suggestions for items. Looking at buying from www.newegg.com &/or www.zipzoomfly.com

Price, like to keep it semi reasonable but there can be exceptions Total around $1,200 if possible. In saying that I'll be selling off my current system in my sig to hopfully help pay the cost of this. PM me if you have intrest in my current system, once the time gets closer I'll be placing an add in the Classifieds.

Til then thanks for the help in advance.

Edit: Added note, I also want a semi silent system, my current system the PSU is louder then my whole PC, and thats with 1 of the 2 fans running. My system also runs off 2 fans currently in my case (2x 120mm running from 7-12V and a 92mm Heatsink fan running from 7012V) Just for added info so you know.

Decided to move up my time table :) See if I can get it all build before Thanksgiving weekend.

Last edited:
I'd wait until a week before ya buy honestly.
I do like your idea for the X2 and 2gb of RAM...and no SLI

You pretty much hit the major things on the head, just wait until your ready to purchase because 1-2 months is a long time in the computer world.

It might be a long time but most things won't change between then.

Only difference is a videocard and possibley the mother board. All the others are pretty rock solid and nothing majorly new will be coming out. But the thing is if I wanted to buy today, instead of a month from now I'd like at least have an idea. You know that money burning a hole in your wallet itch hehe.

EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra Motherboard $103.00
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ $345.99
ATI Radeon X1800 XL $403.30
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus10 250GB $89.99
OCZ 2x1GB Value Series $203.41
OCZ PowerStream 520W $114.99
Thermalright XP-120 $48.99

Total: $1308

That's a pretty big amount above your budget limit, so you can probably drop down to the X800XL or something.

I personally like nVIDIA over ATi, but since you liked the R520s, I included the X1800XL.

There's a 300GB verison of that DiamondMax for about $110 if you need the extra storage space.

I choose the OCZ Powerstream because you might need the extra power if you plan on using a high end video card, or maybe even future SLi or Crossfire.

darksparkz said:
EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra Motherboard $103.00
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ $345.99
ATI Radeon X1800 XL $403.30
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus10 250GB $89.99
OCZ 2x1GB Value Series $203.41
OCZ PowerStream 520W $114.99
Thermalright XP-120 $48.99

Total: $1308

That's a pretty big amount above your budget limit, so you can probably drop down to the X800XL or something.

I personally like nVIDIA over ATi, but since you liked the R520s, I included the X1800XL.

There's a 300GB verison of that DiamondMax for about $110 if you need the extra storage space.

I choose the OCZ Powerstream because you might need the extra power if you plan on using a high end video card, or maybe even future SLi or Crossfire.

thats a nice rig...and i always see you darksparkz make rig suggestions and they always good....nice :p

Oh that is very nice.... I might hold off on the HDD for a X-Mas present ;)

Q about the ram: Can it OC well? Should of added something to the I want list, but can it do say 250 or 275 FSB? Just incase I get a good chip I want ot make sure the ram will keep up with the CPU, unlike my current system where I have a huge ram divider in effect currently.

Oh, you wanted good OCing ram? That is just OCZ Value ram. On second thought, I recommend Corsair Value or Crucial Value over the OCZ Value. I've seen OCZ Value hit about 230fsb, but some Corsair or Crucial value can hit about 250fsb sometimes.

The better 2x1GB ram would be the Crucial Ballisitix, but that runs at about $300. That ram should be able to get to 280fsb+

Here's a little more info:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67762

Ya thats what im talking about :) I'll have to check that out now thx for that link.

The 250GB if that Diamondmax is only about $8 more, I'd pay $8 for 50GB of HDD space. Plus, that OCZ Platinum might OC a little bit better then the Value Series, at least according to experiences by people of XS. If you want OCing ram, obviously the Crucial Ballisitix is the best choice, but it'll crack your budget though.

Well think I'm pretty much set on choices unless anyone else can suggest otherwise. This is all from newegg, need to check zipzoomfly on prices next.

MOBO: EPoX EP-9NPA+ Ultra (105.00)
HDD: Maxtor 250gig SATAII (95.50)
PSU: OCZ PowerStream 520W (139.99)
CPU: X2 3800+ (347.00) (figured I'd be going with this one)
HSK: Thermalright XP-120 (68.99) (just realized I always have gotten Thermalrights in the past, XP-94, XP97
Fan: Well gotta pick one out, one to match my other 120mm's in my case though.

RAM: I do still have my old ram currently thats in my sig, which I might just use currently til I can afford to replace them, at least it will save money off to start with even if I can only use 2 sticks. They run decently at least. Does this motherboard have higher voltage options on the ram? Be nice if I could take them to around 3V without doing any volt mods.

VideoCard: Going to wait and see if the X1800XT comes out and see how that plays.

Anyways total so far $756.48 before shipping. What really sucks UPS is cheaper then FedEX now :( So guess $32 for shipping, I hate!!!! UPS Guess not bad for just taking the ram out of the price tag, makes it more fiesable.

NM, ZZF bearly has any of the components :(

Edit: Also saw that DIM voltage can be up to 3.1V and chipset up to 1.8V excellent. Whats the max the CPU voltage can be? I just see .35+, so would that be 1.65V total then?

Last edited:
If you want a good OCing motherboard, I'd say go for the DFI LP Ultra-D over that Epox. The Epox runs better with lower voltage ram, so the DFI would be the best choice to get.

If your planning to OC, I'd say just stick with either of the 2 sets of ram. Don't use all 4 512MB sticks, it'll force you to run in 2T and that's a performance hit for skt939s. So test between either two sets, and see which 2x512MB set is better for OCing.

Checking out the DFI right now... Thx for the quick reply's.

Well as for ram, I need 2 gigs wether its my old sets right now or my new ones I need it currently. How much of a preformance hit is it? 5%? Either way the system will be much faster then mine already, and getting a set of 2gig later will feel like a nice upgrade if it boosts speed nicely.

As for getting the system ya its definatlly moved up, one of my other computers just took a crap today. Going to see if I can hold out for the X1800XT, since its what 2 weeks away or less suppositly.

Not too sure on how much of a decrease there would be comparing 1T and 2T. I'd say it's a pretty large amount that's noticeable. Just try it out for the first few weeks with your 4x512MB set and see how far you can OC and see if you feel like you need a upgrade.

Well the woman felt bad for me so she let me go out and buy a little extra ;)

MOBO: DFI LP Ultra-D
HDD: 2x HITACHI SATA2 8M 250Gigs
PSU: OCZ PowerStream 520W
CPU: X2 3800+
Heatsink: Thermalright XP-120
FAN for Heatsink: 120mm ThermalTake SmartLED
RAM: Crutial Balistics 2x1Gig sticks :)
VIDEO: A cheap PCI-E card to use until a what I want comes out. At least its something and it can always be used as a spare if I ever upgrade this here computer im using right now to type this since I don't do really anything on this computer.

Thanks for the massive help to me sorting this out. Selling off my parts from this rig in the classifieds.

Above is pretty good but heres what i would change

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813131540

OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ4001024ELDCPER2-K - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820146890

and for the Hard Drive go with a WD Caviar what ever size, Western Digital is always better. Very Fast, Quiet, and very affordable.

Nathan0490 said:
Above is pretty good but heres what i would change

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813131540

OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ4001024ELDCPER2-K - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820146890

and for the Hard Drive go with a WD Caviar what ever size, Western Digital is always better. Very Fast, Quiet, and very affordable.
I don't think I'd take that advice if I were you, the DFI will overclock much better, as well as the Crucial Ballistix.

Ya I actually checked out other motherboards, and ram. But felt if I was going to get something might as well get Top OCer pick mobo, ram. As for harddrive selection I would of gone with one that I got in an external casing. Its cool, quiet and has run very well over the past 7 months I've had it which is very nice considering I move it alot. I did eye up the WD, only thing was I got 2 years more warrenty with this drive compared to the WD.

Good products all around though, it was a very hard choice after doing research all day/weekend.

LordDarik said:
I don't think I'd take that advice if I were you, the DFI will overclock much better, as well as the Crucial Ballistix.

Don't worry I already knew that ;) The ram he mentioned was my second pick at least, mobo was 4th pick.

Back