• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer resetting....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speed_Freak

I posted this problem a couple weeks ago. I would suffer period resets especially while viewing movies or trying to rip cds but sometimes it was just arbitrary and out of nowhere. It got to the point where if I turned my computer off for the night and I would go to turn it on it would post, reset right before getting to windows like 25-30 times then finally make it into windows, however, it would still be unstable. I then got an 80 pin not connected error at post. Well, long story short, I got a new hard drive and it seemed to fix the problem. I left my comptuer off for the night last night and it is having similiar problems. It is totally stable if I'm just surfing the net or listening to music or typing or whatever. I was trying to play a game and it would last about 3-4 minutes then reboot. I'm not having the same problem as before with the constant resetting but its still frustrating nonetheless. The power supply is a good quality 400w and is new so i dont think thats it. Any ideas?

The same type of symptoms have been reported with motherboards that have bad caps. The motherboard may have bad caps. For more information about the bad cap issue, please go to the following web site:

http://badcaps.net

I checked out the caps and they are all bulging and jacked up. The symptons definately corrolate with F'd up capacitors so I'm gonna go ahead and replace them this next week, I'll let ya'll know how it goes. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!! Saved me from scrapping my mobo :)

Justin

Speed_Freak said:
I checked out the caps and they are all bulging and jacked up. The symptons definately corrolate with F'd up capacitors so I'm gonna go ahead and replace them this next week, I'll let ya'll know how it goes. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!! Saved me from scrapping my mobo :)

Justin

If they get soldered without extra solder, then it shall run like brand new.
If crashes are still occuring, then you may just have some extra solder crossing connections. I never recapped a motherboard or a power supply before.

Power supplies are harder, because when you take out the caps that came with the power supply and then when putting the replacement caps, you risk getting a shock from the big capacitors or transformers!!

Even with my PC hardware, I watch for any symptoms that can be caused by bad caps.

For example, if Prime95 suddenly failed when it was 24-hour Prime95 stable, then definitely inspect the caps!!

Back