• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3.4 Prescott Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JennyB

Registered
Geil 1gb PC4000 ddr500
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Prescott 3.4e 800fsb / 1mb cache

In bios:
RAM = 2.5-4-4-8, 2.85v(max for bios)
CPU = (265.40x14 = 3.72), 1.4500v

I'm told max limits for 3.4e are: CPU Vcore voltage 1.525v or 65c, which ever u reach first.. is this correct?

My manufacturer timings are different to my bios: 2.5-7-4-4, what timings should be in my bios?

The system crashes after awhile on 3.72ghz, so I upped the CPU Vcore voltage to 1.4700, but it didn't make a difference. So its now back at 3.4ghz. What now?

I'm at 3.6, 1.5v, 60c. would lowering the voltage improve temperature?

Howdy. Yes, lower voltage usuallly means lower temps, but then it won't O/C as high. If you don't mind, list your cooling. That 3.6 gig don't look too bad.

I'm a bit conservative and would say 1.5v or low 60's. The CPU can handle the voltage, but most socket 478 motherboards don't do well above 1.5v and even at that vcore, you probably should add heatsinks to mosfets and make sure you have good case ventilation. Check out the cooling article listed in my signature.

Ok, that RAM should run up to 250 FSB using the 1:1 ratio, so you should be ok there. Oops, I just noticed you are using 14X multiplier, so your FSB is running higher than I originally thought. In that case, better drop down to the 5:4 memory ratio (the 320 memory setting for Asus).

You can probably tweak the RAM timings to improve 'em, but for now, I would leave 'em alone until you find the limits of your system. That way you know it's not the RAM causing your bottleneck.

Make sure the AGP/PCI is locked to 66/33. Try those things and report back. Good luck.

Oh yeah, you might get more response if you post in the Intel CPU section next time.

set 5:4 ratio instead of 1:1
running 3.72, 1.500v
61c load, stable.

any higher ghz and it crashes.

My cooling should be pretty decent, hyper6 heatsink in coolermaster case, fans are setup for good air flow.

I reset bios and my cpu multiplyer went from x14 to x17... this good or bad? thought p4 multiplayer were locked.

CPU Lock Free
The CPU Lock Free allows you to adjust CPU multiplier to 14x. The reduction of multiplier value provides more flexibility for increasing external FSB frequency to raise memory bus bandwidth. CPU Lock Free boosts overall system performance by making synchronous modification possible. Enjoy better performance at the same CPU operation speed and improve your system without pushing the CPU to the limit.

Ye, I guess that was my problem, x14 instead x17 :)
So, shall I stick with x14 or?

P4 multipliers are forbidden/locked from going higher than their max; there's nothing stopping you from running it at a lower multiplier, however.

14x250 is significantly lower than 17x250, and you _can_ go up to 17x (well, the thing will permit you to do so, as 17x200 = 3400, your original spec, but I cannot guarantee stability).

There are performance advantages to running high FSB, but if you run the 17X multiplier, you can keep your 1:1 memory ratio. Try it both ways and see which way you like best.

220fsb x17, fails Prime95 toture test..

Last edited:
Sounds like your CPU must be about at max around 3.7 gig. What stepping revision? If you don't know off hand, you can run CPU-Z to find out. What vcore did you try at 220X17, maybe 1.45v like before?

So i changed my multiplayer from x14 to x17, this helped alot.

225fsb would crash at all voltages.
220fsb was still crashing at 1.4v but only after a lenghty period of time, didn't try other voltages.
So now I'm at 215fsb (3658mhz) and will test it.

I have Asus AI booster. The voltage stays around 1.3+, even if I up the voltage in the bios to 1.525v

CPU = D0 stepping

Why don't you try to get it stable at 3.5 then 3.6 then 3.7. Increase vcore just enough to get it stable. You could also get a better cooling system. You proccessor is not the only thing to limit you oc, motherboard components can get very hot, so higher power case and proccessor fans are a low cost investment

Back