• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In bios and then everything goes *poof*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pyromuffin

Registered
I was in bios, just navigating through menus and then the display goes blank. and the fans stop, and then start again, with a blank screen. I've got a water cooling system, but there isn't any moisture anywhere. I've tried putting my video card in different PCI-E slots and using both outputs on it. I'm in the process of clearing CMOS with the hopes of that doing something, but I'm doubtful. When I power on the computer the fans turn on (I plugged the videocard fan in and that turns on too) but I don't get any display and the hard drive doesn't make any noise.

I don't know what to do. :shrug:

any help would be appreciated.

Try Booting up with just RAM, CPU and Video card.

Then we'll go from there.

No luck, nothing happened. I took the ram out too, too see if it would get angry at me, but still nothing. I fear I am the proud owner of the worlds most expensive door stop.

EDIT: I suppose you'd want my specs

DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D with latest bios
A64 3800 X2
Patriot XBL 2x512mb
X850xt PCI-E

now take RAM out see if it turns on.
Also if you have another power supply you can swap that out and see if it starts with it.

Ste said:
now take RAM out see if it turns on.

He already tried that.
pyromuffin said:
... I took the ram out too, too see if it would get angry at me, but still nothing. ...

If you get no beeps than you probably screwed up your MB somehow. If your computer doesnt turn on at all then you might have a faulty PSU. Unhook everything and test the power supply using the green wire trick. Hook up a few fans and test the voltages using a DMM. Try a different one as stated above if you can.

Did you make sure to plug the video card in, if it needed to of course?

JT

No ram in, still nothing. I don't have another PCI-E powersupply but I just took this PSU out and used it on another machine and it worked.

JTanczos said:
He already tried that.

If you get no beeps than you probably screwed up your MB somehow. If your computer doesnt turn on at all then you might have a faulty PSU. Unhook everything and test the power supply using the green wire trick. Hook up a few fans and test the voltages using a DMM.

Did you make sure to plug the video card in, if it needed to of course?

JT

The psu is working, it doesnt beep because there is no speaker hooked up to it, my case doesnt have one. The lights on the mobo turn on too.

pyromuffin said:
No ram in, still nothing. I don't have another PCI-E powersupply but I just took this PSU out and used it on another machine and it worked.

Did you see any heat damage to the CPU?

Wernt there DFI boards that had compatibility issues with certain PSUs?

Well find a speaker! Plug it in and listen. If it beeps then it might not be a bad board. It wont show anything without ram. I usually use it to test if the ram is the problem. Mine always beeps without ram but doesnt if it has faulty ram. *shrugs*

JT

pyromuffin said:
The psu is working, it doesnt beep because there is no speaker hooked up to it, my case doesnt have one.

Thats bad, if you have errors your gonna want to know about it.
So the other power supply works with the System. Im guessing your PSU died. But put everythign back in now and try it with the "good" psu just to make sure.

Im going to hijack another case that has a speaker, and see if it makes any noise.

JTanczos said:
You dont need to hijack a case. Just the speaker! I always keep them before throwing away a case.

JT

Ya I recently Bought A new Case, and it didn't come with a speaker so Im like WTF and I ripped the old one out of my other case.

pyromuffin said:
I was in bios, just navigating through menus and then the display goes blank. and the fans stop, and then start again, with a blank screen. I've got a water cooling system, but there isn't any moisture anywhere. I've tried putting my video card in different PCI-E slots and using both outputs on it. I'm in the process of clearing CMOS with the hopes of that doing something, but I'm doubtful. When I power on the computer the fans turn on (I plugged the videocard fan in and that turns on too) but I don't get any display and the hard drive doesn't make any noise.

I don't know what to do. :shrug:

any help would be appreciated.

No bleeps, then the processor likely got fried. It's possible that it failed to cool the processor. :(

Back