• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan noise and replacement fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArBiTaL 24

There is no spoon
Hi all,

My computer's making odd high-pitched noises lately.. I'm going to pull it out later and track down the source of the problem, but I suspect the PSU or graphics fan. If it's the PSU (quite possible, it's a cheapy crappy thing that I've had since I first got this rig) then I'm looking at getting the OCZ Modstream 450 (After I did some observations of recommendations here on the forums), and if it happens to be the CPU fan I can get a silent CPU fan easily, no problem with that.

What I'm looking to do is quieten my system right down. The problem lies in the graphics; I have the sneaking suspicion that this recent fan noise (maybe the fan's on its way out?) is the graphics card, for two reasons:

1. After listening into the case, the noise seemed to come from the graphics card. Also, booting without the card inserted didn't *seem* to be as noisy (It's hard to tell though, with the side of my case off, as the CPU fan is a brute)

2. Sometimes my POST reports an "error" that I should check in the Bios. I do check, and the only obvious problem I can ever see is that in the PC Health monitoring, the graphics fan speed often falls into the "red" (below a certain watch speed).

Now, I'm thinking I might need a new card. This would be a PITA, since this card (new) was like £300, and I don't really have that kind of money to invest right now on a new card, besides, my computer as a whole is becoming rather... legacy. I'll probably get another 9700Pro or 9800 off E-bay to replace it, if that's the problem.

What I'm wondering is, on my current card or a new one, can you *replace* the GPU fan? Because they're ALWAYS noisy (Don’t PC manufacturers think of making silent GPU fans? they've been making them for quite a while for CPUs). I'm just wondering if you can like, take off the existing one and fit either a *silent* fan, or heatpipes and some fancy Zalmann-like contraption to dissipate heat?

yeah those heatpipes would work fine...you could also ghetto rig a 80mm fan to blow down where the old fan used to (use zip ties through the screw holes on the fan and wrap around the GFX card. Also replacing the PSU fan is relatively simple as well. You just need to find the size of the fan and get a new one, no need for a new PSU. You may need to splice in the new wires but again that's easy to do.

Your looking at 20lbs to fix all that I'd say

I just had a PSU go out on me, and the fan noise was horrible. Luckily Newegg took it back in exchange for a new one. Didn't want to mess with trying to replace a fan inside the power supply...maybe I should have checked it out more.

I worry about opening up a PSU.. you know you can easily kill yourself if you touch the capacitors in there, and they stay primed for like, months after the PC is unplugged? Seems like something best not to mess with.. though I suppose it's ok if you know what you're doing. Either way, if it IS the PSU, it's a nice excuse for me to get a better one XD (this one was a gift o_O but it's not what I would have chosen.. it's got pretty crappy rails ^_^;;; ) But a Graphics card.. that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish where money's concerned ^_^;

Either way, I have still to get it out yet. My IBM rig is causing me hassle with the ghost, so i'm working on that right now. Thank you to those who replied :) And I'll post which it was when I find out. Any advice on methods of removing / adding a GPU fan and what passive / quiet cooling solutions for graphics cards there are out there (including quiet fans) would be appreciated ^_^

Hmm.. I've got it all out, the PSU seems to be making a lot of noise so whether there's something else causing a lot of noise or not, i think i'm going to have to change one or both of the fans.

I've opened up the PSU, wearily eyeing the scary big fat caps in the corner.. long story short, does anyone have any advice/tips for grounding/draining the cpas first to make sure they're not charged up? I don't want to keep playing around in there for fear of frying myself.. you know people always warn about the power in PSUs and TVs and such

Thanks in advance for any advice ^_^

just work with one hand if your truly scared. Also about capacitors staying charged for months I highly doubt that...in fact after a few seconds of unplugging it from the wall there isn't enough power to keep those little LED's on the mobo on.

Also I doubt it would kill ya. It takes a lot of DC current to kill a person, and a small cap like that won't have the voltage and or current to do it.

I've ripped apart a lot of PSU's and never had a problemn with being shocked as well.

ajrettke said:
j

Also I doubt it would kill ya. It takes a lot of DC current to kill a person, and a small cap like that won't have the voltage and or current to do it.
Actually, it doesn't take a lot of amperage to kill you, voltage doesn't really matter, and I don't think there's a difference between DC and AC as far as being electrocuted. If you're going to open it up, don't touch anything you can't touch from the outside, heck, if you're just replacing a fan you just need to touch the fan header. And yes, doing it one handed will assure that you won't be killed. For safety sake, leave your other hand in your pocket if you're worried.

Capacitors lose most of their charge fairly quickly, but the rest of the charge is held for a longer period of time. Try turning on your computer with your psu unplugged but the switch turned on. That would remove most of the charge from the capacitors.

Ahh, cool, thanks for the advice :)
I changed it and replaced both fans (Managing to shock myself a little from touching the PSU case as i unplugged it (forgot that it grounds through the case >_<) but it's ok.. just a lil jolt.. still alive to bug you all :) ) but it's still making the noise >_<

It seems to be where the fan screws into the back of the case, and the guard at the back.. it doesn't make too much noice freestanding but when pushed against the back of the case it makes a racket (even with the noise dampening rubber thingy i have at the external back of the PSU).

Hmm.. seems like i might need rubber washers or something for the screws on the inside.. or maybe just a new PSU T_T

ckj said:
Actually, it doesn't take a lot of amperage to kill you, voltage doesn't really matter, and I don't think there's a difference between DC and AC as far as being electrocuted. If you're going to open it up, don't touch anything you can't touch from the outside, heck, if you're just replacing a fan you just need to touch the fan header. And yes, doing it one handed will assure that you won't be killed. For safety sake, leave your other hand in your pocket if you're worried.

Capacitors lose most of their charge fairly quickly, but the rest of the charge is held for a longer period of time. Try turning on your computer with your psu unplugged but the switch turned on. That would remove most of the charge from the capacitors.

yes amperage kills..but V=IR no matter what...and the human resitsance is pretty high so in order to even get close to the current needed to kill you, you need the higher voltages.

And DC requires 3 times more current to kill if not more. AC in the US is harmfull because it's the same freq that defibulates your heart.

But, be assured, your gonna be safe.

Wow, you really know your stuff :eek:
I wish i was a bit better at Physics.. would have helped more back when i was majorly into the OCing scene.. Either way, nice info :)

My system.. Seems less noisy that it was. More like how it used to be.. who knew! Maybe changing those fans did help a bit after all. I can sleep soundly at night now (Literally :D)

Back