• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In The Market For New RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wa77ss

I need some new RAM. My 1 Gig of Kingston Value RAM just is not cutting it anymore. I am lookin at getting 2 Gig's of high performance RAM. I have looked into OCZ, Crucial, G.Skill, and also XMS. It seems to me that most people on these forums seem to say that Crucial is going to be the better choice of RAM. Also, is the PC4000 really gonna make a huge difference between it and the PC3200. I am not to sure if I will OC this RAM, but I am sure that I dont want to pay another 2-300 dollars anytime soon. So with that said, what would be the best choice for a high performance, and future proof RAM. Any thoughts will be appreciated good or bad. As I have not a clue about RAM. Thanks ....

What setup will you run this RAM at, it's always best to list your systemp specs in your sig under your profile so that you avoid being asked same question everytime.

If your not into OC'ing then standard DDR400 will do you fine and you can always run under dividers if you change your mind. DDR500 are better because they give you more OC'ing headroom and possibility of running under 1:1 which is what every OC'er is looking to do.

If you are on the budget then G-Skill HS's will do you fine for $226.

Moving up the price there are OCZ 2GB DDR400/2-3-2-5 for $254, G-Skill HZ's DDR500 at $245 and mushkin eXtreme Performance DDR 466 which go for $261.

If you are planning to spend more above that price range then Crucial Balistix is what you want.

The 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix are some of the best 2GB set of ram. Some people have been able to hit 300fsb on them with a DFI board.

If your not planning to OC too far, even OCZ 2x1GB Value Series ram should do fine for you. Some people can even get to 230-240fsb with them on DFIs.

Thanks for the info guys. I did a little more research and came to find that the G.Skill will most likely suit me best.

Back