• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram divider question?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jacobman

Kind of a noob at ram dividers, but can you run a divider with your ram still at 200fsb and make it clock your cpu higher? I will be getting a 3000 venice this christmas, but not my OCZ EL rev.2 for a while. Anyways i have only reached about 220fsb on this ram, how high could i get the 3000 venice using whatever divider for highest CPU speed? Also whats the downfall if any of using dividers?

There is no downfall to using a divider. I have tccd ram, but still use a divider because I can't clock at 1:1 at 1t at 282htt. If your ram can clock to 220 ad you use a 5:6(166) divider you should be able to go up to about 9x265htt. To go higher you'd need to use a 2:3 (133) divider or a 3:4 (150) divider if it's available on your motherboard bios.

Jacobman said:
What does the divider represent? Like the number on the left of the colon and the number on the right?
It's a fraction basically. 1:1 means 1 to 1 or 1/1, the first 1 being the ram speed and the second 1 being the HTT(CPU clock) speed. If your divider is 5:6 then your ram is running at 5/6 the speed of your HTT. If your HTT is 200 your ram would be at 166. This is why in some mobo the 5:6 divider is referred to as the 166 memlock. I hope I've made it clear. It's actually more complicated, but I don't want to make it too confusing. Feel free to ask questions if I haven't.

That makes perfect sense, thanks for clearing it up. The mobo i will be doing this on will be the DFI Ultra-D. So the mobo will give me a bunch of different dividers to choose from?

Jacobman said:
That makes perfect sense, thanks for clearing it up. The mobo i will be doing this on will be the DFI Ultra-D. So the mobo will give me a bunch of different dividers to choose from?
You're welcome. Yes, the DFI has lots of dividers and every other control imaginable. Good luck with it.

Back