• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my heatsink improperly installed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Marvelous

Registered
I hooked up the my new computer:

Sonata II case
Asus P5LD2
Intel 640 775 processor

I have tried with just ram/processor/video card and the same thing happens.

The computer boots up and just shuts off. It does this at different times, maybe 15 seconds, maybe 5. I think it is the heatsink because if I turn it on right after it shuts out it would cut off very quick. I had trouble putting in the heatsink, so that may be the problem, I hope its not the processor. If anyone have anything to offer to help me out I would appreciate it.

well you are correct if the heatsink is not properly installed the CPU will overheat and the bios will auto shutdown/beep. however I do not think that the CPU would get to critical temperatures utill a few minutes after initial power. However if you have your system overclocked that might be a different story. I know that with my system (in the defalt) configuration will shut down if the CPU fan is below a certain RPM. If I don't disable this (I use a fan controler that is why I don't plug the fan into the mobo) then the computer will continually shutdown before I have a chance to get into the bios. I would check that you have a fan connected to your mobo cpu fan plug, and also remove and reinstall your CPU heatsink. If not either your mobo or cpu could be DOA. Hope this helps.

VinnyTAMU said:
well you are correct if the heatsink is not properly installed the CPU will overheat and the bios will auto shutdown/beep. however I do not think that the CPU would get to critical temperatures utill a few minutes after initial power. However if you have your system overclocked that might be a different story. I know that with my system (in the defalt) configuration will shut down if the CPU fan is below a certain RPM. If I don't disable this (I use a fan controler that is why I don't plug the fan into the mobo) then the computer will continually shutdown before I have a chance to get into the bios. I would check that you have a fan connected to your mobo cpu fan plug, and also remove and reinstall your CPU heatsink. If not either your mobo or cpu could be DOA. Hope this helps.

Thats not true it only takes 10-15 sec for a cpu to overheat without proper protection.

Update: I took the stock intel heatsink from my moms celeron d processor, and the computer will not shutdown anymore. Well not for a long time I guess, havent had it booted up past 5 minutes. The thing is that the temperature of the cpu is 85-90 C , I know that is high. Is it because of the celeron and p4 hsf is different or it is still improperly mounted?

BaconTheory said:
Yes, its because the Celeron D and P4 heatsinks are different. You really need to go spend the $30 for a cheap CompUSA heatsink to protect your CPU until you can get a decent one.

Thanks for that info.

I have a si-120 and 120mm fan on the way, but wont get here to tomorrow. I wanted to just set up windows, drivers, etc. so when it comes in all I would have to do is install it. I going to try the original heatsink one more time and if it doesnt work im just going to wait.

Well I got the original heatsink on and now it stays on like when my moms heatsink was installed. However it is reading 95-100 C. I know the intel heatsink is bad, but the temperature shouldn't be this bad. What could be wrong?

That's really high, even for an Intel. Is that the temp readings you get from the motherboard? Try using some other temp monitoring software to see if there are any different results. Use something like SpeedFan and look at "temp2" for a pretty accurate temp.

Nathan0490 said:
Thats not true it only takes 10-15 sec for a cpu to overheat without proper protection.

Not even 10-15, modern P4s and A64s, can take within 3 seconds.

make sure u have a paste put on it, like artic silver 5

make sure its on right, tight enough

maybe your mobo has a bad sensor

Update: I managed to get the heatsink fit a bit tighter and the temps got to 70-75 C. However, when I went to stand the computer in its correct position and it came unclipped or something. Now it will only stay on for 10-15 seconds again, so I'm just going to wait ~5 hours to get my new heatsink in.

I have another problem however. My moms computer(new as well) came with a DOA powersupply. It came with the case so I'm worried about sending it back, I'm just going to get another one. The computer trys to power on but only for a split second. I hooked just the mobo power cord from my computer to hers and it would stay on, so I'm guessing its the power supply. Am I correct in this assumption?

Back