• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old School PIII 1.2G Tualatin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlabamaCajun

I have an ASUS TUA266 board one of the first and few PIII boards that use DDR. The memory controller fronts the 133M FSB of the chip with the DDR memory allowing the processor to run CL1 on CL2 memory. It's not quite 1:1 due to controll logic but it does improve the bandwidth. This is the first time I've really used this board with a Tualatin and DDR in it. I have DDR333 CL2.5 in it set to CL2 at 290. I've have had this board up to FSB150 with a PIII-800 so I know the board will do it. But will the Tualatin make it? I can't move the voltage as the VCore steps from 1.5 to 1.65. I would raise it to 1.55 but the board won;t do it and vcore modds are not my cup of coffee! Sandra reports about 930/918 on the memory bandwidth ad 79% which is high for most PIIIs. My old p4 1.8 only gets 847 on the this score with the DDR266 CL2.5.

I would think you stand a decent chance of getting to 150 fsb with your P3 Tully, AC. I used to have a 1.26S running in a Gigabyte GA-6OXET mobo (the exeption to the rule that Gigabyte sucks :D ) and if I remember right, 150 fsb wasn't hard to do at stock vcore. It's getting it higher than that is where I had to slowly start raising the vcore. BTW, don't worry about hurting that tully, they are really tough, unlike a Northwood P4. They'll take vcore that would just kill a Northie in a matter of weeks and just keep on going and going. Also, pinmodding a higher vcore isn't too hard to do with the Tully by using the wire in the socket trick. I had done that on my setup to get around a cold boot issue where the board first started up using the hardwired vcore data from the proc before the bios took control of vcore. The actual vcore values that Gigabyte board gave in bios were very generous and went up to 1.85v, but you had a problem getting it to cold boot until I pinmodded the higher initial vcore. There used to be a sticky here about pinmodding the vcore for Tully procs but I guess it has gone away into the background since the P3 is old history now. You might try to search for it though and be able to dig it up, if you want to try pinmodding a higher vcore for your Tully. As for cooling it, even a reasonably cheap AXP hsf will do just fine, as long as it is a clip type hsf and not one that needs the holes around the socket. Those Tully's are real easy to keep cool.

Good Show AC! Find that baby's limit and get 'er foldin'. :santa:

AlabamaCajun said:
The memory controller fronts the 133M FSB of the chip with the DDR memory allowing the processor to run CL1 on CL2 memory.

You have that puppy running CL1? :eek: What are your timings? I'm not aware if you can specifically set all the timings on a PIII board- never owned one.

Back