• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Faulty psu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moglenstar

Registered
i've got a "frankenstein" rig that i put together, using mostly old components from my old computer setup..

Q-tec 400w psu
GF4 440mx 64mb Graphics Card
AMD xp2200+ cpu
512mb generic ddr266 ram (two sticks of 256)
Gigabyte 7vm400m motherboard spec

im running windows xp on there, and the computer will spontaneously shutdown, and i cant turn it on unless i pull the power cable out of the psu for a couple of minutes, and then plug it back in.

it happened on a previous motherboard i used in the setup too, (asrock k7s8x) which now doesnt work (well it works, but having a keyboard plugged in causes it to lockup)

i thought it was a cooling issue, but quickly ruled that out, as i could run 3 instances of prime95, and it would be fine..

so im thinking it's the psu causing problems..

looking at the health status in the bios, currently ive got the following voltages

vcote - @ 1.610v
ddr vtt - @ 1.264v
+3.3v - @ 3,216v
+5v - @ 4.999v
+12v - @ 12.048v
5vsb - @ .. well this jumps around 4.430v - 4.588v~ roughly

case is very well cooled, and ive got as5 on the heatsink/cpu yet im still getting idle cpu temps of around 50c~ - which is surprising, as im up in the attic with my computers, and it gets hella cold up here.

my main rig (a64 3000+ venice) idles at 29c, and its just a metre away from the other computer..

so could it be possible that the psu in the computer is messed up?

id be thankful for any help, as this is just annoying me now :bang head

edit/update:

after dwelling over it for a while, i hunted around and found a 230w psu to try in it, lowe and behold it works fine - i guess the psu was on the duff, as i expected..

problem resolved :)

Last edited:
Back