• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I create memory or sound conflicts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Des1017

I am trying to figure out why my computer gives me errors or freezes or shuts off... Ive ran DFT on my hd's, memtest for 20passes on my ram and got a new PSU.

If the problem could be my sound card, isnt there a way to create conflict where it might crash the computer? to help determine the problem?

Same with ram?

my system specs are listed on my signature.

Warcraft3 just crashed with this error.
error.jpg

ok i was just playing warcraft 3 again and my computer just reset out of no where.. i looked at event log and there were no errors.. only this:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000000a (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8051e106)

Last edited:
Look for an updated driver for your sound card, that might work.
But look in the BIOS and see if onboard audio is enabled.
Is it only Warcraft that cuases this?

im using sound blaster 5.1... (onboard is disabled in bios)

I have the latest drivers from soundblaster.com

No ive had it happen to me while i was downloading steam the other day.. took me 3 attempts starting over from 700megs.. It has also reset on me while I was using alcohol 120

No im not overclocking anything.

cpu temp is 26c, never rises above 43c at full load.. Ive done extensive tests with prime95/toast/memtest/dft

[11:44 pm cst] I just looked at my bios and went to a pci option and ac 97 audio was on. Could that have been the problem? I disabled it.

Last edited:
alright i was playing warcraft 3 again with winamp on and it randomly reset again..

I had disabled the pci ac 97 on board yesterday, so apparently that wasnt the problem.

[11am] this time game just froze but not the computer.

Last edited:
Try pulling the Soundblaster and using the onboard. I've had a lot of problems with the Live! series over the years. The Audigys seem to be better 'tho.

ok soundblaster is pulled... just installed the onboard drivers. lets see how it goes in war3

ok just played war3.. the last 2 times it had not reset the comp, but instead now only the game itself is freezing, and ive been having to end the program.

Last edited:
My brother is having a similar problem using SBLive 4.1, and some questionable ram.

Check your hardware profiles for any IRQ conflicts. Right click My Computer, go to ADVANCED and there should be a button for "Recovery" or fialure? i cant remember..open it up, and uncheck "automatically restart" this will give you the BSOD instead of reboot, and should give us a clue as to whats wrong.

Also i notice a 6800 in your sig. Nvidia has been the root of all my problems similar to this. ive got a 5700LE that wont even handle quake on one motherboard, but on another, identical to it, plays fine. Have you checked those drivers? what are they up to now, 80.xx?

I havent had a reset yet since i changed to onboard ac97, but war3 has frozen which is new and now just gave me another error

error2.jpg

Im waiting until the computer resets to check ram next. i had the problem before I upgraded nvidia drivers and got my 6800.

as you can see it is a different critical error

also what is BSOD? i want to keep restart on for now, until it resets 1 more time.

alright heres another, was sitting here playing guitar.. A few downloads were going and all of a sudden the computer resets. I wasn't even browsing any sites...

I got this error in event log
error3.jpg

and here is what it says..
error4.jpg

thats cute. I just rebooted no BSOD? did you turn it on like i suggested?

Whats your voltage look like on the 12v and 5v rails? i had a dually that did all this junk...turned out my PSU was crap and had to get a 650watt one lol

By default XP automatically reboots on major crashes. You could disable that to get the BSoD for more info. Look into Start - Control Panel - System and click on Advanced tab. Then click on Startup and Recovery button. Under System Failure section, deselect automatically restarts. Then you can see if you're getting BSoD or just plain restarts.

If your PC is still restarting rather than BSoDing, you may have a hardware problem like flaky PSU or old mobo with bad caps.

caps isnt neceserily voltage...its those cylendar like thiings that stand all over your mobo. make sure theyre all FLAT on top, not buldging or leaking a yellow stuff.

Page file is like ram but on your hard drive. Raising it could help, but then again you get long load times of transfering from ram to HDD.

Its best if your page file is on a separate volume if possible

Back