• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory running to fast?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rysjimmy1994

My memory is running at 247 mhz. Is that to fast for the memory I have. I have a problem where if i bring the FSB up above 249 mhz, it freezes up windows after everything loads.

memtest it and make sure its stable. also if you feel its too fast use a memory devider. you can also loosen the timings. thats probably what you have done. otherwise i dont know how you got that kingston value way up there..

You can download memtest86 here.
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Memtest-Download-10259.html
Follow the instructions to make a bootable floppy and then boot into it to test your ram. If you have any errors then you will need to slow it down, loosen the timings or increase the vdimm voltage. Then boot back into memtest and test for errors again. This will lower your risk of corrupting windows with memory errors. Good luck.

i lowered my mem divider to 166 mhz... then to 133 mhz. I also dropped the FSB:DRAM mulitplier to 9. Then it crashed and wouldnt reboot. Question, when I lower the mem divider, what should i set my timings to. every time i screw around with those, my computer never reboots and i have to reset the cmos. Any suggestions as to what i should set mine to

Back