• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Second build, still a work in progress

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PrometheuSBoxeR

Id' like to thank everyone who helped me out here at OCForums.. and thank everyone for the helpful stickies and information. I had just bought my parts last weekend and I have the computer completely up and running. So far zero overclocking has been done yet, and there are still a few things I need to work on. However everything went together well, and as a whole. Everything is good.
I'll keep everyone posted here on my progress as I get settled. I still need to figure out exactly how im going to approach overclocking.

As for anyone whos curious what I still need to work on heres what I ran into:

1. When installing the Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 Rev 3 if you ask me it was a very poor design for the 7800GTX. Two errors that a lot of people have been comming across. The wires on the fan are aranged wrong, so I had to swap them.. small hassel, and the backplate for the memory on the GTX. The backplate has no way of attaching itself to the card or cooler. It simply is stuck on my very crappy thermal pads. So currently I have either a choice to put the stock back on which I think I may do, or Just keep the NV silencer on for now without a backplate until I find a solution.
2. Wiring, the upside down motherboard on the V1000 was a small pain, a lot of wires are arranged poorly for now, creating mabey a small flaw in airflow. Nothing that im worried about too much though. Im going to be buying some cables/sleeves - I like everything organized and matching. If you have any recommendations let me know.
3. Wow, all I have to say. Scythe Ninja + 120x38mm Panaflo they are HUGE. Huge is even a understatement. I think that im going to be doing some modding to allow the Panaflo to fit more securly and better instead of the flimsy 2 brackets it comes with. I don't think im going to see its true power until I start OC'ing my CPU. Hopefully it can keep it real cool. I noticed in the BIOS I IDLE at 33C right now. Also adding to temperature. If anyone has a very good program they use to monitor volts/temps etc let me know please. I am looking for one to keep tabs while I do things in real time.
4. There is a very short wire for the front 120mm fan. I tried everything and I simply could not find a connection for it without using some sort of fan controller device which I do not have right now. So I techincally only have 1 case fan going right now which is the back 120mm. Hopefully I can fix this soon, because I know its only hurting my case temps. It also blows on my HDD.

Aside from that, everything is very nice. Ill keep everyone posted.

Back