• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Data Execution Protection?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer36

Ok, here is the story I went to work on a computer who said they were having general issues. I arrived fixed the printer, got some stuff on the internet to work, setup there wireless router. However the person is in the process of moving all of his videos on to tape. He is using Pinnacle 9.

Now whenever he goes into the Shared Video folder a error pops up "Data Execution Protection" THen you have to close out the window, which then closes out exploer. What he is running Pinnacle 9, and has SP2 and his system is a 3.0E, 512, and is a gateway from tiger direct.

Now what causes this? It does not happen in safe mode, and I noticed that if you don't have it show thumbnails it will not error out, but I can not get windows to display titles only.

I had the same problem a few months ago. The only way I could get Pinnacle 9 to work right was to go to, System Properties, Advanced, Performance, Settings, Data Execution Prevention,

Turn Off DEP for
Windows Explorer
Windows Media Player

I don't know if this is the best way to do it, but it worked for me with the same problem. Hope it helps!

That's interesting. I hadn't heard of DEP being put on intel's. I only heard about it on the original a64's. I guess I missed that memo. I believe its purpose is for some level of virus protection.

Back