• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with my 4x512 G.Skill PC4400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Carlitos

Hi guys... I don't consider myself nor a newbie nor an extremist. Please bare with me...

I tought I was upgrading when I traded in my 2x512MB Kingmax PC4000 that were running 1:1 at 245fsb. When I bought these G.Skill modules, I thought I would be able to run at a lot higher fsb than before, though before I had 2x512, and now 4x512mb. OK, so these G.Skill are supposed to run at default 275MHz 2.5-3-3-7 1T.

Today I learned that if you use 4x512, you cannot use 1T, so I'm stuck at 2T... OK.. I can live with that...

As of now, I have tried a million combinations to get the memory stable at different fsb speeds, different voltages, different timings (3-4-4-8 i.e.) and until now, I can't get anything going past probable 245mhz worth discussing. I got tired of seeing Prime95 send me errors after 1-2min of processing, so at the moment I am running with AUTO settings in the Bios (they're at the moment running at 225mhz, CPUZ tells me), just because I got tired of freezes and reeboots and wanted to post this here....

What am I doing wrong? Is there anything I should know I dont? Voltages fromn 2.7-2.85, different timings from 245-290MHz (I want to go 1:1), different CAS settings, etc. etc. People everywhere else are hitting super speeds...!!!

In my signature you can see my mobo and the rest of the details. Please gimme a ray of hope... What can I do? What am I missing?

Thanks,

Carlitos

Yes, you should be able to go higher. Did you buy the ram new or used? For starters try running just 2 and see what happens. If you still have problems try switching there slots. If they work okay then take them out and try the other 2 in the same way. If they work better in a different slot order make a note of it so you can put them in in the same order. With used ram I find that slot order is important. If it's new ram you may need to burn it in for a while to get it to perform at it's best. This is a link to the burn in sticky here.

I forgot, :welcome: to the Forum!

Last edited:
Hello rseven,

They're brand new pieces.... I'll try both the burn in and checking 2 at a time and let you know.....

Thanks!!

Carlitos

OK,

As soon as I only leave 2x512 sticks in, everything works as advertised.... If I go back to 4x512, back to ddr333 speed... Bummer!!!

Carlitos

Carlitos said:
OK,

As soon as I only leave 2x512 sticks in, everything works as advertised.... If I go back to 4x512, back to ddr333 speed... Bummer!!!

Carlitos

DDR333 aka PC333 (for chips) or PC2700 (for complete modules) is double data rated at 166.6MHz, I think you meant DDR400 :rolleyes:

I think the issue is the memory controller just can't handle 4x512mb at high speeds that's why 2x1gig is always a better option for 2 gigs. What I would do is use a a 5:6 (166) divder and tighten the timings as much as possible. The performance loss is really not that much. I ran mine like that for moths till I got a bios capable of a a 183 divider.

Silver, thanks for correcting me, you're right...

Today I RMA'ed the 4x512MB G.Skills and I am getting this week 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix....

Thanks to all for your help....

Carlitos

rseven , correct me if I am wrong but the only memory that seems to gain any advantage from burnin are the ICs that winbond/infenion produce/produced. I have owned two kits of gskill LE myself and both didnt gain 1 mhz from enlongated period of use and abuse. Both were able to run 300 mhz 2.5-3-3-6 right off the bat , no burn-in , nothing .

However I did need to burn in my Mushkin redlines for a while to get them to 265 mhz . I wasnt stable around 255+ but after a week or so of burnin , i was completely stable at 265.

|3ourne said:
rseven , correct me if I am wrong but the only memory that seems to gain any advantage from burnin are the ICs that winbond/infenion produce/produced. I have owned two kits of gskill LE myself and both didnt gain 1 mhz from enlongated period of use and abuse. Both were able to run 300 mhz 2.5-3-3-6 right off the bat , no burn-in , nothing .

However I did need to burn in my Mushkin redlines for a while to get them to 265 mhz . I wasnt stable around 255+ but after a week or so of burnin , i was completely stable at 265.
I remember when the GSkills first game into vogue in the beginning of the year that a number of people had trouble hitting their stock timings out of the box, but did so after they were burned i. They seemed to help my PQI's as well, but only slightly. There is a lot of disagreement over whether it works or not for ram as well as CPU's. (I had no luck to speak of with my CPU, but it was pretty good to begin with) I sometimes wonder if it's a placebo effect or what, but I swear it has helped me with ram. Your guess is as good as mine, . Maybe better, your sober. :p

rseven said:
I remember when the GSkills first game into vogue in the beginning of the year that a number of people had trouble hitting their stock timings out of the box, but did so after they were burned i. They seemed to help my PQI's as well, but only slightly. There is a lot of disagreement over whether it works or not for ram as well as CPU's. (I had no luck to speak of with my CPU, but it was pretty good to begin with) I sometimes wonder if it's a placebo effect or what, but I swear it has helped me with ram. Your guess is as good as mine, . Maybe better, your sober. :p

What makes u think im sober ???? The White Sox just pulled out a victory out of their A$$ !!! Lol , been taking Cannonball shots all evening man :D .
I can however agree that CPU burn-in definitely works. Thanx to that my opteron 146 is 2.85 ghz stable at 1.408V vcore. :santa:

|3ourne said:
What makes u think im sober ???? The White Sox just pulled out a victory out of their A$$ !!! Lol , been taking Cannonball shots all evening man :D .
I can however agree that CPU burn-in definitely works. Thanx to that my opteron 146 is 2.85 ghz stable at 1.408V vcore. :santa:
lol......congrats and cheers!

Back