• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard decision PC4000: Crucial Ballistix/OCZ Platinum EB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kimochii72

I can not decide which is best. I'm concerned specifically with gaming performance only with this ram decision.

1) Crucial Ballistics PC4000 (3/4/4/8)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146578

2) OCZ Platinum EB PC4000 (3/3/2/8) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227225

I don't know how to fiddle to much with timings and rather just 'plug n play'.
My FSB runs great with Corsair valueram currently at 255 (ram at 213 stock timings). However, I have got my FSB stable at 266 and even up to 272 but my dividers are easier at 255. I have no idea if better ram will make the FSB go higher.

System:
3800 X2 (on order, currently using 3500)
Abit AV8 (K8T800 chipset)
4x512 Corsair Valueram 2.5/3/3/8
PNY 6800GT
2x250g DiamondMax 10 Sata(raid0)

I've contact OCZ about using this on the AV8 and they said it is "Completly Comapatible with the Abit AV8"
However, I have read from another forum someone claiming that my board is picky and is has absolutely no problem with TCCD or TCC5 ram chips. I don't know how true this statement actually is though.

Basically you are trying to decided between old Micron C die and newer D die. While I am a big fan of OCZ's products, good Ballistix works real well with A64. The EB (Enhanced Bandwidth) was designed with Intel rigs in mind.

That said...find you some TCCD stuff like the newOCZ PC3200 Plat Rev 2 (v1.0, not v1.1 which is TCC5) and you will be much happier. Patriot's dual rated TCCD stuff is also very good. The OCZ is currently sporting a rebate and net cost is somewhere around $150, which is in line with what the Patriot/PDP will cost.

You just can't beat TCCD for A64 rigs in my opinion, unless you are going for the alternative high voltage/tight timings of BH-5.

I don't think they make TCCD/TCC5 for 1GB sticks, and the EB has Infinion IC's that do 270MHz maybe 280MHz at 3-3-2-8. The Ballistix will do 300MHz at 3-3-3-8.

Reefa_Madness. The only thing is, I want to be guaranteed 500ddr and am afraid to spend over this money and only get some overclock to say ddr450. That's why I want to get pc4000 with the possibility of getting my FSB to 260 (ram about 214), hopefully 275. I've had success running games at ~262 with the valueram but usually after that the system crashed. Those OCZ's I read use Infineon Ce-6 which I hope don't give my AV8 any compatibility problem despite ocz's rep telling me:

"OCZ PC-4000 EB Platinum Edition DDR is completely compatible with the Abit
AV8.

Sean K. Sinha

Senior Technical Support Representative

Phone: (408) 733-84xx ext. 461"

On the other hand Crucial has a specific web page claiming that pc4000 Ballistix is 100% guaranteed compatible with the the Abit AV8. That give me much more reassurance than a flimsey email from OCZ head tech rep.
Btw, I happen to be not too far from you, I live in Atlantic Beach.

I will be make a decision by tomorrow morning and putting an order in for one of these 2g kits. I hope more opinons will be contributed by then too.
Thanks

I jumped to the conclusion that you were referring to 512MB sticks, so I didn't go to the links...after all, I "knew" both of the modules you were discussing.

My bad. Had I looked closer, I would have noticed that you stated PC4000 when referencing the EB, clearly old "EB" with Micron C only was rated to PC3700 and that should have clued me in. My apologies for not paying closer attention.

If you are looking for 2x1gig sticks the Ballistix have developed quite a good reputation and are among the top choices these days.

rseven,

Hello back at ya!

Reefa_Madness said:
My bad. Had I looked closer, I would have noticed that you stated PC4000 when referencing the EB, clearly old "EB" with Micron C only was rated to PC3700 and that should have clued me in. My apologies for not paying closer attention.

ive done the same thing, EB meant micron back in the day. i think it may just mean X-2-X-X or X-X-2-X or X-2-2-X, as those 2's give extra bandwidth

No doubt Crucials 5B D's are best 1GB chips out there and I'm getting some myself very soon (by next week), but I'm having hard time saying no to Mushkins xTreme Performance since I hardly see anyone using this RAM and I like trying out new stuff.

IF you wait next till next week. newegg will feature the 991483 with at $35 MIR. Price about 299-309 with 35 mir...

Duonger

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
ballistix need active cooling, thats probably why they did so poorly. if you want a real testament to getting Crucial, look at this http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67762&page=1 the top 17 are held by Micron based rams.

I have decided to just spend the extra money and buy the Ballistix. I have a DFI LanParty SLI-DR Mobo. The rig is going to be watercooled, at this point I think I will only WC the CPU and GPU.

My question is- What would be the best way to actively cool those Ballistix? And, should I take the heat spreaders off and install heatsinks?

I would not void the warranty by pulling off the heat spreaders. Just put an 80mm fan over them or a couple of 60mm fans and you will be fine. Good luck with them.

Back