• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows not recognizing new ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mill

Registered
I was running 2x512mb sticks, and upgraded to 4x512mb sticks of Corsair DDR3200 valueram. When I rightclick My Computer, it still shows 1 gig. CPUZ shows both gigs... but I feel like only 2 sticks are being used, because I *STILL* can't run BF2 on all high (sigh, this rig is giving me nothing but problems). My rig, if it matters:

AMD Venice 3800+ (OC'd to 2.81)
XFX 7800GT
aforementioned RAM
Raptor 74gig HD
120 gig backup drive
Asus A8N SLI Deluxe

Thanks :) I love this forum, everyone's extremely helpful and never jaded towards OC/system building beginners such as myself.

PS: How fast should/could my RAM frequency go? My HTT is 255 with an 11 divider, and its at 200.7 when I check CPUZ... is it rated at 200? Or can I lower my divider and bump it up to 220ish?

Hi,

I had the same problem.

Is your ram Dual Channel?

If so, there is a certain order it has to go in the slots.

Try switching them around.

like:
(1)(2)(3)(4) its setup like that
Try switching them
(1)(3)(2)(4)
or
(3)(2)(4)(1)

Just try every possible combination till it works. If it is Dual channel.

That was my problem.

Hope this helps!

Ram is running in dual channel just fine, its just not being recognized by windows. Only 1 gig is seen under My Computer, but CPUZ sees both gigs (in dual channel).

Guess I'll bump it up, still not recognizing the second gig or making use of it.

Mill said:
Guess I'll bump it up, still not recognizing the second gig or making use of it.
FWIW (I'm from the AMD side) There are only a few MOBO's that will recognize all 4 slots in dual channel. That's why everyone uses two 1 gig chips. 4 dual channel chips puts a tremendous strain on the memory controller. You can reduce the timings to 2t from it to get all four slots working, but the speed penalty is not worth it. Check your MOBO specs. And also brands/types of memory certified. Again this is AMD

Back