• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is This Safe???????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newbienerd

Is it safe to test RAM that has shorted and kiled a mobo (backwards install.. ooops) by putting it into another mobo and trying to run it?? there seems to be no physical damage to the RAM.. the mobo smells, but there is no puffing of the chips or signs of damage.. is it possible to damage a mobo by inserting damaged RAM?? likelyhood???? Is it safe to even try?? worth it?? thanks!!!

I wouldnt do it, especially if it has fried a mobo prior to that, if that happened, chances are when you put it in backwards (Dunno how that happened..lol), it fried both the mobo, and ram...i wouldnt try it. Im not sure if it may damage the new mobo or not tho.

Just a personal opinion i guess

any way of finding out if the ram is still good?? is there some sort of testing device for testing ddr ram?? like a psu tester where you plug it in and it tells you if it's good?? It's a pc3200 512.. sigh...

hehe, to test it, the only thing i can think of is to put it in a mobo.

Umm, my friend, a while back, i gave him a stick of PC133 (hehe...looong time ago), and i didnt know it was bad, just had it laying around.

His PSU caught fire...and fried the mobo, and all hardware attatched to it.

So, if you have a mobo and everything you dont really care about, try it out.

Otherwise, perhaps a local computer store, or BestBuy may be able to test it for ya.

yup, that's the best way to screw up the technicians. He will learn something new on that day.

Well, you are not alone. I did it and fried a ram slot on one of my older mobos however, I inserted it correctedly in another slot and it and the board worked fine.

rseven said:
Well, you are not alone. I did it and fried a ram slot on one of my older mobos however, I inserted it correctedly in another slot and it and the board worked fine.

U mean U installed it backwards like me, with one tail end sticking out and the other half unnaturally jamed into the other side? did u smell smoke?

so when u insterted the ram that fried the other mobo it was still fine?? i hope mine will work still.. did u get any errors?

newbienerd said:
U mean U installed it backwards like me, with one tail end sticking out and the other half unnaturally jamed into the other side? did u smell smoke?

so when u insterted the ram that fried the other mobo it was still fine?? i hope mine will work still.. did u get any errors?
Yep, The burning circuitry smell is unmistakable. The ram was indeed fine and it's still in use some 18 months after the goof. The ram slot on the board is fried and can't be used, but that is all.

I had someone add ram to one of my machines and they inserted it backwards and killed the board, when I got my replacement mobo I just inserted the ram correctly and it worked just fine.

Well.. 50% so far with memtest.. no fire.. no smell.. and NO ERRORS.. yet.... :) Well.. I think eveyrthing will be just fine.. thanks for the advice and the courage!! I couldn't have mustered up the cohones to test it out (on my dad's pc... hehehehe) without your help. knowing u guys did the same thing and things turning out ok was a real help. Thanks!!!!!!

SWEET!!! 1 and a half passes and still no errors.. I think it's safe to say this ram is still alive and kicking.. i just hope my other perhiperals are still ok.. rseven/AVG - did u damage other stuff too or was it only the board?? I'm hoping I only damaged my board and the board only... Thanks again eveyrone!!!! U guys rock!!!!

Back