• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to do with many ancient PCs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Restorer

In exchange for building a PC that will acceptably run cheap home design CAD programs in Windows, my dad will give me a lot of his old computers and parts. That includes two IBM desktops (could be 286, 386, or 486), an AT motherboard with a Pentium or P2 chip and associated hardware, and all the pieces of a maxed-out 486DX PC, among other things. Anyone have any idea how I could put it all to good use?

I'm thinking I could try an arty approach and decorate my room with computer parts hanging on the walls that are actually powered and operating. I might use the more recent AT board with a couple NICs to give me a dedicated linux router.

part's is part's!! It never hurt's to have spare parts even old spare part's.I myself have thought about building a pc for the wall(the computer as art).Moglenstar is right tho,FOLDING FARM!!!!!!

Make Keychains out of the <486 CPUS and junk/donate/recycle the rest. The Pentium 1 and Pentium 2 could definitely do some good folding.

Nexus Realized said:
I don't think a 286,386,486 would be worth the electricity they use for folding... maybe the P2?:shrug:

Very true, spend the cash you'd waste on electricity for cancer research.

Those parts really arn't worth anything, just something to toy around with. I used to save all those parts, but I got sick of all the crap laying around...so I sold it all...cheap

Hello

I rebuilt the pcs and give them to my frieds kids. I figure that its a start for them and if they screw it up its not too bad to fix instead of screwing up mom/dads pc and taking hours to fix.

Fordman

Back