• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Edited Registry -- Windows will not load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xbi0s

Registered
Windows gets to the part where you type in your password, the logon screen. Type in the p/w and then it freezes.

Cannot get into Windows via Safe Mode either. Any way to get into windows to do a system restore to a few days ago, or to restore the registry?

:(

What exactly did you edit?

Try the Last Known Good Configuration at boot. (Of course...LKGC will probably be the version that you edited, since it's saved at system shutdown...scratch that)

Did you ever take a backup of the registry before you went playing around in Windows-land? If you did, you could restore it from the console.

In my stupidity I did not make a backup.

Is there any way to access SysRes without entering windows? The time I encounter problems is when I go to login to windows via normal or safe mode (DOS, Networking, or plain Safe Mode).

I cannot access the main windows.

If anything I will remove the HDD and make it secondary on another computer to remove information I need from it. I was just hoping to be able to do a "fix" somehow to solve this dilema.

This teaches me to only do this on a computer I do not have "nescessary" materials on. Stupid me.

Moi said:
What exactly did you edit?
Your unintentional breakage of your OS may help someone else someday, and I'm curious, I would like to know. :)

It may be advisable to attempt an upgrade-in-place installation (aka a reinstall without reformat) to get the stuff you need off, if no other alternative is available, and then scratch the whole system.

Captain Newbie said:
Your unintentional breakage of your OS may help someone else someday, and I'm curious, I would like to know. :)

It may be advisable to attempt an upgrade-in-place installation (aka a reinstall without reformat) to get the stuff you need off, if no other alternative is available, and then scratch the whole system.

Well I did the L2 cache tweak and then the LargeMemory tweak I believe.

Worked on my friends Pentium 3.0E -- not on my laptop? :)

Well. I ended up reinstalling Windows. I got to save most of my directories...

NOTE TO ANYONE: Do NOT save any important files in the My Documents folders! If you do you have to do a reinstall, those folders get WIPED OUT!

Save them into C:\ in a created directory, not in any M$ Document folder!!

kthx.

Right click MyDocuments/Properties/Move and select a different target. I use a folder on a different partition for mine. I've never lost a thing to a reinstall.

Back