• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

****ed off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Citalopram

So I just brought a whole brand new system for Quake 4. And I can't even run it on lowest settings even then I'm getting 30FPS in fire fights. I thought my system would have been top of the range the amount of money I spent on it just for this damm game. Tryed different drivers, FPS tweaks still nothing.

Here is the specs.

K8N Neo 2 SKT 939 - Motherboard
6800GT 128 MB - GFX card
130 GB maxtor - HDD
1GB corsair DDR - RAM
AMD Athlon 64bit 3500+

Please don't tell me this system is out of date already?

not that's not out of date....have you tried overclocking the video card? that will cause the largest increase in performance (oh and is your video card 128 or 256mb?)

:welcome:

No, I don't know what I'm doing and can't risk overclocking incase I mess up :p
It's 128MB.

:bang head

most of the OCing programs you use for the video card actualy test out the settings to see if they work...try downloading a program called powerstrip...then you got into display settings, advanced and OCing and you set the speeds for RAM and core and it tests them out...if they're good it allows you to OC it

well 128mb, totally explains it. the 256mb version fairs a lot better. i recommend at least a x850xt pe if you want to play it at medium settings with above 40fps.

-1cem4n

1cem4n said:
well 128mb, totally explains it. the 256mb version fairs a lot better. i recommend at least a x850xt pe if you want to play it at medium settings with above 40fps.

-1cem4n

Wuh? What are you talking about? I'm playing at high settings, 2x AA at 1024x768 on my X800XL, AGP, stock clocks, and i get 40-50 FPS across the board.

I would expect it to be able to run better. But I really haven't heard of a 128MB verison of the 6800GT. Where did you get it and how much did you pay for it?

it's running better than that on my system (with an AGP card and an old Barton) so you should be getting better than that. try all the usual tricks like latest forcewares from nvidias site, latest DX, defrag etc.

Nexus Realized said:
I didn't think 128MB XL's existed either...BTW who said they did? :p

No, I don't know what I'm doing and can't risk overclocking incase I mess up :p
It's 128MB.

-1cem4n
Wuh? What are you talking about? I'm playing at high settings, 2x AA at 1024x768 on my X800XL, AGP, stock clocks, and i get 40-50 FPS across the board.

EDIT: Hey cool, just realized I could put a quote within a quote. :)

IMO since you were getting a new system, the 256MB version of the video card would have been a better choice, but you should still be getting better performance than that with the 128mb version. I can play graphics intensive games like BF2 with all settings on medium-high at over 40 fps on my 128mb radeon 9000, as long as I don't go and enable AA. First make sure you have AA turned off, as it can take away a huge portion from your FPS (it takes away about 20% fps on my comp). Also, update your drivers and stuff. You'd be surprised how much a simple driver update can improve video card performance.
Note: I've never actually played Quake 4, but it can't be that much more GPU intensive than some games I have played.

Last edited:
Right... 128MB 6800 GT? I'm smelling ripoff here... Try to check your video card with various programs. I'm not too familiar with nVidia, so others will be able to help you out more on which programs to use, but I would imagine RivaTuner to be a good one.

As most people have already stated, that is very poor for the system you have built.

I personally think that it's a driver issue. All I can recommend is to update all your drivers; motherboard, video card, sound card, everything. For your video card, it is highly recommended that you get the Omega Drivers at their website here .

Speaking of soundcard, are you using the onbard sound? Just a question.

Back