• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yet another 2x1GB memory question (or 3)...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DragonTattooz

I've read many, many threads on this topic. I know that you are going to recommend Ballistix. Based on what I've read I believe that the Ballistix probably are the best sticks for my new DFI SLI-DR board, but...

A lot of people also like the OCZ Plat. Rev. 2 memory as well. The thing is that the OCZ is like $100 (or more) less than the Crucial- the Ballistix Tracers are going to run me right around $400, and I'm having a real hard time justifying that kind of money for RAM. I am willing to spend the extra for PC4000 because for OCing it just seems to make sense. Although, it seems like people have good luck OCing with PC3200, so maybe for my purposes PC3200 would be fine. I'm not trying to set any benchmark records, but I do want stability- and I'm willing to pay for it.

Question #1- Is the Crucial $100 (or more) better than the OCZ?

My intent w/ this new computer is to play with OCing, but I've never done it and I have A LOT to learn. I will be doing quite a bit of multitasking and video editing, that kind of thing. I want 2 gigs total.

Now, I also read that people have run 4 sticks at 1T (I have no idea what that means, but I know it's better than 2T). My point is that I'm thinking about going with 4x512MB because this new board will run that at the 1T setting. BTW, I also bought a X2 4400+ Toledo CPU.

Another thing I'm doing that I have never done is that I'm building a "show" computer- for lack of a better word. I'm doing water cooling, UV lights, LED's, the whole shebang. I want it to look cool...Point being that the Ballistix Tracers will look cool w/ the LED's. Although, if I go w/ 4x512MB I can get the XMS X-pert sticks that look REALLY cool- and have functionality.

Question #2- How good is the XMS X-pert? And, is it compatible with the DFI SLI-DR board?

Someone was saying that the dual core CPU's memory controller can handle the 4 sticks at 1T just fine w/ the DFI board.

Question #3 Should I stay away from 4 sticks, even though the board will run them at the 1T setting?

FYI- If I decide later that I want more than 2 gigs I'll just pop this memory into my son's 'puter and buy what I want, so having the 2 slots for later expansion is a non-issue. Honestly though, by the time I need more than 2 gigs, it will probably be time to build a new rig anyway. I build a new rig about every 2-3 years.

Another thing I was thinking is that I could get the non-Tracer Ballistix, or the OCZ Plat. and put one of those LED heatspreaders on it to get the "cool" look I'm going for. I really like the functionality of the X-Pert sticks, but I'm just not sure how well they will work w/ the DFI board. If the X-Pert sticks worked w/ the DFI board and IF Corsair made them in 1Gb sticks, I wouldn't be asking thiese questions. I would buy that memory- even if it wasn't quite as fast as Ballistix or OCZ.

So, you see, I'm not just looking for the fastest out there. I'm looking for good, stable, fast memory that will work with DFI and will look good in the process.

Please help. I feel like I'm running around in circles on the memory issue. I have bought everything for the new rig except the case, memory and WC stuff. I'm having a hard time deciding on a case, and the memory issue is driving me nuts.

Sorry for the long thread, but I really don't want to make a mistake on this.

1. crucial sticks should o/c higher than ocz 3200 plats, the 1GB sticks of 3200plats are not good for oc'ing
2. <shrug> corsair memory is one of the ones people have trouble getting timings to work on DFI boards, have a search on dfi-street
3. 99.9% of people cannot run 4 sticks at 1T, i do know someone with 4x512 ocz gold pc4000vx running at 1T
the best 1GB sticks out at the moment IMO are the ocz platinum pc4000eb
http://www.ocztechnology.com/produc...00_2x1024mb_platinum_edition_dual_channel_kit
i've seen people able to run these at 2.5-3-2-7 at 250MHz

So, with the OCZ I would want the EB, NOT the EL? That was another question I had. Thanks.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67762

I don't think the Crucial Ballistix are $400, I thought there were only $300.

Anyways, the Crucial Ballistix has been seen to be one of the best 2x1GB sticks. Many have been able to hit 290fsb+ with only about 2.9v.

For skt939 motherboards, having a 2T configuration over a 1T would mean a pretty big performance hit. 1T can only work if you have 2 sticks of ram, any two sticks, 2x512MB or 2x1GB. 2T is obtained when you have over 2 sticks, like 3x1GB, 3x512MB, 4x512MB, etc. On the former skt754s, 2T doesn't decrease performance by all that much, but in the skt939, 2T would have a pretty big decrease. There is this new DFI Crossfire board that allows you to run 4 sticks in 1T by some new method, if you really want to run 4x512MB, maybe consider that board.

darksparkz said:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67762

I don't think the Crucial Ballistix are $400, I thought there were only $300.

Anyways, the Crucial Ballistix has been seen to be one of the best 2x1GB sticks. Many have been able to hit 290fsb+ with only about 2.9v.

For skt939 motherboards, having a 2T configuration over a 1T would mean a pretty big performance hit. 1T can only work if you have 2 sticks of ram, any two sticks, 2x512MB or 2x1GB. 2T is obtained when you have over 2 sticks, like 3x1GB, 3x512MB, 4x512MB, etc. On the former skt754s, 2T doesn't decrease performance by all that much, but in the skt939, 2T would have a pretty big decrease. There is this new DFI Crossfire board that allows you to run 4 sticks in 1T by some new method, if you really want to run 4x512MB, maybe consider that board.

That's right. It was the new DFI Crossfire board, not the SLI-DR, that will supposedly run 4 sticks @ 1T. Thanks for setting me straight on that.

You can get the Ballistix for ~$300, but the Tracers are ~$400. If you can find me the Tracers for ~$300, I'll buy 'em right now. I've been looking everywhere, but there are only a couple of places that even seem to carry the Tracers. Newegg has a single 1G stick for $190, but I thought it was recommended to buy them as a matched pair for dual channel???

buying "matched pairs" is kinda a joke imop. more gimmick than anything. just get them in singles, its usually cheaper.

Back