• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Needed help with price efficient custom PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JinXation

Hey all, I'm stuck with a dilemma. I've not been up on computer hardware for about 2 years, and I'm totally lost now. All this hyperthreading, multiple voltage, yada yada yada that's been implemented is making my head hurt. I'm looking to help a friend out on upgrading her husband's box for christmas, and i need some guidance. i've spent about 14 hours in the past few days reading on everything new to the scene, and i'm at the point now where i know what i don't need, but still not sure what i do need. My aim is to spend around 200 usd for the motherboard and processor. I'm wanting to go with about a 2.66 ghz p4 prescott, but i'm not sure about the boards. the processor is 115 usd for retail package. i loved amd a few years ago, but am not sure if they're still having overheating problems still. i'm looking to build a machine that will be stable without the problems of overheating, and i'm not even sure if intel is the way to go. I'm trying to convince his wife that there's no need to go buy a dell desktop for 350. my argument doesn't seem too strong at this point. Any suggestions on a decently priced mobo with a good chipset would be? i'm not looking for anything extreme, just a good home pc that will be worthy of usage for the next few years. any help is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back